Hope is Coming | Teen Ink

Hope is Coming

By ella_perkins24 BRONZE, Unknown, Colorado
ella_perkins24 BRONZE, Unknown, Colorado

Rebekah: Hello little one. Brother, is this your child? Did Hailey finally have her?

Klaus: Yes sister, but I must put her in your hands. She is not safe back in New Orleans, there are too many threats.

Rebekah: (Questioning tone) Where’s Hailey?

Klaus: She is back home, mourning over the “death” of her baby.  Dramatic pause. She named her Hope.

Rebekah: You had to fake the baby’s death?

Klaus:  (Soft, bitter tone) Yes. It was a tragic day. Hailey is a hybrid now. (Looks down). The witches killed her after she delivered the baby but because the baby had my blood she came back as a vampire. (Sadder tone). She is a Hybrid just like me. Angry sigh. For my daughters safety I must give her up. Hands Hope to Rebekah. It has been the hardest decision I have ever had to make. Can I trust you?

Rebekah: You can trust me.

Rebekah takes the baby from Klaus and straddles it. A single tear drips from Rebekah onto the baby’s forehead.

Rebekah: (wipes tear away) Kla--

She raises her head to find that Klaus has disappeared.

Rebekah: I hate it when he does that. (Looks down at Hope) He’s always running off.

Hope begins to cry. Rebekah returns her attention to the baby.

Rebekah: Don’t worry little one. We’ll get along just fine.

Rebekah took Hope back to her new house in Arkansas. Although it is not far from New Orleans, Rebekah has not been touched by any witches. Rebekah is a Vampire, she is Klaus’ only living sister. They have other siblings, Elijah, Kol, and Finn. Kol and Finn died a couple years back in Mystic Falls, Virginia. Rebekah, Klaus, and Elijah are the only living people in their family. The parents of Rebekah and Elijah are dead, Klaus has different parents. They all have the same mother, Esther, but Klaus’ father was different than that of Rebekah and Elijah. Rebekah and Elijah’s father is Michael, the vampire who hunts vampires, but Klaus’ father is a werewolf named Ansel. Michael killed Ansel and has forever been on a quest to kill his bastard son Klaus. Esther was an all-powerful witch that turned her children into vampires. They were the very first vampires that ever walked the earth and are thus known as Original Vampires.
Rebekah drives Hope home. The roads begin to get bumpy as Rebekah pulls into her driveway.

Rebekah exits the driver’s seat and goes to the back seat where Hope is laying there. She picks up the baby.

Rebekah: I’m sorry I don’t have a proper baby car seat, or whatever they’re called, but I promise we will go shopping very soon.

Hope: giggles

Rebekah: You have such a nice smile. Hope, such a pretty name.

Rebekah places the baby on the back car seat and wraps Hope up in a blanket.

Rebekah: Looking down at Hope: You look like a burrito! I guess I should learn how to properly wrap you.

Rebekah cradles the baby in her arms and begins to walk to her house.

She lives in a small white house. It looks as if there is no upstairs but there might be a downstairs because of the multiple window wells. There are no neighbors and only a few trees that surround the outside of the little house. Fresh green bushes line the outside of the house. The soil is mixed up and the bushes look as if they were just planted. Looking forward to the front door, there are three concrete steps that lead to a medium sized porch. One rocking chair sits in the corner of the porch. There is a wooden table that seems to be an antique.

Rebekah takes keys out of her purse and fumbles with them. They fall to the floor.

Rebekah: Those bloody keys drive me nuts. She bends down to pick them up. Grabs keys and opens the door. There we go!

They both enter the house. The lonely house seems surprisingly warm and cozy. There are multiple candles lit so the house smells of an array of cinnamon and vanilla.

Rebekah continues to walk to the kitchen. She puts Hope on the table and walks to the refrigerator. She grabs a Pepsi for herself and milk for Hope. The clock reads 11:23.

Rebekah: I know this is not what you are supposed to drink but it takes forty five minutes to drive to the store. We shall go tomorrow.

She heats up the milk in the microwave and opens her Pepsi. The fizzy soda foams over onto the kitchen floor.

Rebekah: Bloody hell. The damn soda wasn’t even shaken up. I’ve never liked these American sodas. Sure they taste fine but with their fizzing and all. I can hardly keep up with it.

She bends down and cleans up the mess. The microwave beeps.

Rebekah: Oh dear I have nothing to put the milk in. (sighs and looks at Hope) I guess this is going to be hard, being your mother and all.

The next day Rebekah puts Hope in the back seat of the car and begins the commute to town. The closest town is Newport. The drive is long and unpleasant.

Rebekah: Why do those dreaded witches have to be chasing us? If it weren't for them, I wouldn’t have to waste all this gas. (Looks back at Hope) It was so much cheaper in the 50’s. 30 cents, can you believe that?

Rebekah is about mid-twenties. Due to the fact that she is a vampire, she has lived for many years. She was born in the middle ages. That is approximately in the 1100’s. Rebekah, Klaus, and Elijah are actually more than a thousand years old.
The car pulls up to Walmart. Rebekah takes out Hope and starts to walk in.

Rebekah: Now (looks down at Hope) where do we find baby things? I have never had a child of my own, you know because I’m dead. I have always wanted a baby though and now I have the pleasure of keeping you safe.

She eventually finds the baby section and goes to the food. She is looking at everything when finally someone comes to help her.

Wendy: Excuse me ma’am I couldn’t help watching. My name is Wendy and it looks like you are a new mom.

Rebekah: Oh n-- yes I am. This is Hope. I haven’t yet picked out any baby things and I unfortunately don't even know what to look for.

Wendy: Well that’s no problem at all. You see I have had five kids, it gets easier after the first one I promise, and anyway I have been there before. What I would look for would be bottles and food. Since Hope is just a newborn, she won’t need any of this mushy, pureed Gerber stuff but one thing I would look for would be a breast pump.

Rebekah: Oh that won’t be necessary. I sort of...adopted her so you can see why I wouldn’t need one. Isn’t there like powder or something?
Wendy: Oh I am so sorry I didn’t mean to assume. Wow this got awkward. Uh yes they do make powder formulas and they are just over here. I found the best one to be Enfamil. Just follow the instructions on the back and you should be just fine.

Rebekah and Wendy shopped around for a while. Wendy sowed Rebekah all the ropes. They bought everything necessary for Hope to ensure a healthy development.

Rebekah: Oh Wendy, I had a wonderful time talking with you. You helped me so much and I couldn’t be more grateful. But I need to compel you now.

Wendy: What is compel--

Rebekah: (Looking into Wendy’s eyes) you will not remember meeting me today. You did your job, checked people out, and went home. I never had a baby and you never saw me with one. Do you understand?

Wendy: I understand

Wendy shook her head as if she just became conscious

Wendy: May I help you miss?

Rebekah: No, I’m doing just fine. Thank you.

Wendy: No problem. Have a nice day.

Rebekah: You too.

Rebekah walks away

Rebekah: (looks at Hope) One of these days I will teach you about compulsion. It is our way of erasing memories or controlling someone. I now have to compel everyone I meet, for your safety. I hope you will never have to use it. Wait a minute. You turned Hailey into a vampire so that means, are you one?

Rebekah put Hope in the car and began to drive home. They got home and Rebekah set up the baby’s room.

Rebekah: There we are, home sweet home. Let me go grab you a bottle and we can get you all tucked in.

Rebekah goes to kitchen and heats up bottle. She takes the bottle to Hope’s room

Rebekah: Alright little one here you go. (Takes baby in arms and begins to feed her) I wonder if... no I couldn’t...maybe just one time, just to see. (Rebekah takes away the bottle and bites her hand, she draws blood. She holds her hand up to Hope’s mouth)

Hope: (Veins appear under her eyes and she moves towards Rebekah’s hand. She opens her mouth)

Rebekah withdrawals

Rebekah: No, no oh this is not good. No one has ever been born a vampire. I need to call Klaus.

Rebekah runs to the phone and dials Klaus’ number. It rings then goes to voicemail.

Klaus’ voice: (angry tone) I hate this bloody voicemail, chances are I am doing something more important so I might get back to you later bye.

Rebekah: Bloody hell. Why can’t he just take a break from ripping people’s heads off and answer his damn phone?

Rebekah writes in her diary

Rebekah: Dear Diary;
I’m not usually about this cheesy diary stuff but I have a few things to write down. First of all, my brother has given his child to me. Her name is Hope, she is the most beautiful child I have ever seen and it is a shame I can’t call her my own. I have always wanted a family but because a dead thing can’t make a life I have never been able to have one. Klaus was lucky enough to knock up that little wolf; they made the most beautiful baby. I took her out today but once again I had to compel everyone I met. I compelled the courtesy clerk at Walmart and everyone at the gas station. I try not to go out often because it could ruin the safe environment I have created. I have so many questions about Hope. Is she a vampire? No one has ever been born a vampire, it’s impossible. Does she have the werewolf gene? What am I supposed to do? What if I screw up? Klaus won’t answer his damn phone; he’s probable causing a massacre. He’s such a bloody demon. Sometimes he can really make me mad. Oh yeah! I think Hope is a vampire. I bit my hand to draw blood and she got those veins under her eyes. I didn’t let her feed but I didn’t know what to do. I tried to call Klaus but heaven forbid her answer. Well that’s all I’ve got. Bye for now.

A few weeks later, they had to go back into town. They had done everything they had to do, except one thing. They had one stop left before they could go home, Starbucks.

Rebekah: Could I have a small coffee?

Barista: One tall?

Rebekah: No did I say bloody tall?

Barista: No.

Rebekah: What did you hear me say?

Barista: Small.

Rebekah: That’s right. Just get my coffee.

Rebekah goes over to the counter and waits for her coffee. She grabs her coffee and turns around and some man bumps into her, spilling her drink.

Rebekah: You have got to be kidding me.

Joel: Oh no, let me clean that up. Here I’ll buy you a new one.

Rebekah: (Angry tone) No its fine.

Joel: Are you sure?

Rebekah: Yeah, I never really liked this place anyway

Barista: Excuse me?

Rebekah: Oh shut it.

Joel: (laughs) I’m Joel, and who’s this little cutie?

Rebekah: Her name is Hope.

Joel: Oh are you a new mom?

Rebekah: Sort of. I’m kind of an aunt taking the role of a mom

Joel: Interesting.

Rebekah: How is that interesting?

Joel: Uh never mind, so what’s your name?

Rebekah: Uh Rebekah.

Joel: Wanna walk around?

Rebekah: Uh I would but I need to go home.

Rebekah looks into his eyes

Rebekah: You never saw me. You did not bump into anyone at Starbucks. You did not see a baby named Hope and you will not see us again. Do you understand?

Joel: I understand

Joel walks away

Rebekah: That was strange for some reason. I’m not sure why but it just was.

Rebekah runs over to Joel and spins him around.

Rebekah: You didn’t get compelled, what are you?

Joel: What do you mean? I’ve never met you.

Rebekah: Cut the act, I know you didn’t get compelled you suck at acting.

Joel: What do you mean compelled?

Rebekah tries to compel him again

Rebekah: go and kill that lady for me

Joel: No

Rebekah: How are you not being compelled?

Joel: I don’t know, maybe it’s because I’m a witch.

Rebekah: No (Tries to run away)

Joel chants a spell

Joel: Des matos incendios

A circle of fire surrounds Rebekah and Hope

Joel: Esther sent me; she says you aren’t supposed to be here.

Rebekah: Esther is dead. Who are you?

Joel: It doesn’t matter who I am. Esther is alive, and she wants you.

Joel grabs Rebekah and Hope and tries to take them but Rebekah won’t go.

Rebekah: (Snaps Joel’s neck) There, try to take me now.

Little did Rebekah know, two more witches were spying on her. They performer a spell that would erase her memory. They had to erase the memory of Esther, they would come back later.

Rebekah and Hope went home.

Rebekah: Dear Diary;
Not much happened today. I feel like I forgot something but I think I did everything I had to. Oh wait, I never got my coffee. That sucks; I guess I will do it in a week or two. I can’t leave every day because it is just too much work. I still feel the need to compel everyone, plus gas is so expensive and I don’t have that much money. I guess I could compel myself a bank robbery but I don’t think I want to. I wish I could see Klaus or Elijah just for a little bit. I even miss the little wolf. I think more and more about Hope. I’m not sure I can provide for her for too much longer. I hate this a little bit because I am not her mother, I can’t take pictures, and I’m all alone. I can’t talk to people because then I would have to compel them again. I want to be a mother I really do, but I can’t.

(Ring, ring, ring)
Rebekah walks to the phone

Rebekah: Hello?

Elijah: Sister I must see you. Klaus said I had to meet you somewhere. Esther is alive and she wants you.

Rebekah: She’s alive, how can that be? She’s dead.

Elijah: Not anymore. We have to meet somewhere.

Rebekah: Ok. How about the diner by my place?

Elijah: Rebekah, I don’t know where you are.

Rebekah: Just meet me in Arkansas. We will find each other.

Elijah: That doesn’t help much but ok.

They hang up. Rebekah rushes to grab a suitcase. She gathers Hope’s stuff as well as her own and they hit the road.

The drive was 2 hours and Rebekah found a restaurant. She called Elijah.

Rebekah: Hey it’s me. I found a restaurant just off of highway 21. Get here when you can.

Rebekah sat in a booth and played with Hope. She had already compelled everyone to forget she was there.

Rebekah: Dear Diary:
I am sitting in a diner, waiting for Elijah. Let’s recap; I have had Hope for 2 months. It has gone by quick but at the same time slow. The sorrow I feel for taking Hailey’s baby is overwhelming. I wish she could see Hope, her and Klaus. It will be wonderful to finally see someone that I don’t have to compel. I wonder what Esther has done to everyone? How did she come back to life? Did she ever die? Wait if she is alive, is Kol? Is Finn? Oh my God, is Michael alive? He would kill Klaus without a second thought. Would he kill us? I have so many questions and I just hope Elijah has the answers. Oh he’s here, bye.
Rebekah: Hey how are you?

Elijah: oh alright, nothing good has happened. Nothing good ever happens.

Rebekah: Oh that’s not the same old Elijah I know. Where is the sophisticated ass hole I know?

Elijah: I’m not even sure. Esther did some weird thing; she is trying to get me to join her. She wants to kill me and put me in a witch’s body. Finn and Kol are alive; they have been resurrected into witch’s bodies. They are on her side and they are coming for you.

Rebekah: That’s a bit much. All of this has happened in two months?

Elijah: Yeah, New Orleans kind of sucks.

Rebekah: no kidding

Elijah: (Looks at Hope) Is this her?

Rebekah: (Smiles at Hope) Yes, this is Hope.

Elijah: She looks just like Hailey.

Rebekah: Speaking of Hailey, how are you two?

Elijah: We haven’t talked much. I miss her. We all know she doesn’t like Klaus I mean Klaus doesn’t even like her. They aren’t together but she and I have had some good times. I really like her and I hate that she won’t talk to me.

Rebekah: Wow! I didn’t know you felt like that. I mean I knew that you liked her but I didn’t know it made you that mad.

Elijah: I’m not mad, I’m pissed. New Orleans is not the same since you left. All the werewolves in the quarter are on Esther’s side. It is Klaus, Marcel, Devina, and I against all of the French Quarter.

Rebekah:  I need to come back.

Elijah: No you can’t! No one knows the baby is alive. We must keep it that way.

Rebekah: Ok fine, but we need to do something.

Hope begins to cry

Rebekah: Oh dear, I probably need to change her. I’ll be right back.

Rebekah makes her way to the bathroom. She changes Hope’s diaper and hears a loud noise. She leaves the bathroom.

Rebekah: Elijah? What was that?

She turns the corner to see the room covered in blood

Rebekah: Elijah what did you do?

Elijah is standing over the bodies drenched in blood.

Elijah: She got in my head, I can’t trust these people. I can’t trust anyone.

Rebekah: Who got in your head? Esther? What did she do?

Elijah: Yes Esther who else? She had me chained up for days under a spell. She made me remember forgotten memories. She made me want to kill.

Rebekah: Elijah, it’s ok. Everything will be alright. Let me put Hope down and we can talk about this.

Elijah: Ok fine.

Rebekah put Hope down and walked behind Elijah.

Rebekah: (puts hands on Elijah’s shoulders) I’m sorry this has been so hard, but it will get better. (Snaps Elijah’s neck) I couldn’t risk you hurting Hope.

Rebekah puts Elijah in her trunk.

Rebekah: Dear Diary:
Elijah is insane. I just broke his neck and I don’t know how much time I have left before he wakes up. I need to get him back to New Orleans. I’m not sure what I will do with Hope, I will try Klaus again.

Rebekah calls Klaus’ cell

Rebekah: Come on I need you to pick up right now

(Ring ring)

Klaus: Sister? Are you there?

Rebekah: Yes it’s me! I need you right now.

Klaus: What for? Have you met with Elijah yet?
Rebekah: Yes he’s actually in my trunk. I snapped his neck.

Klaus: Why?

Rebekah: He says Esther did something to him and I honestly feared for the life of your daughter.

Klaus: How is she?

Rebekah: Would you like to see her?

Klaus: I’m on my way. I’ll get Hailey and we will meet you at your place.

Rebekah: You don’t know where I live.

Klaus: Trust me, we will find you.

(Line ends)

Rebekah drives back to her house.

She got home and fell asleep

(Car doors close)

Klaus’ voice: Rebekah?

Rebekah: (opens front door) Klaus here she is. Here is your child.

Hailey runs in front of Klaus and goes to Hope

Hailey: Oh my beautiful baby. This is the second time I have ever held you. (Looks to Klaus and gives Hope to him) Here hold your daughter.

A tear began to form on his face

Rebekah: So now that we have had our little family reunion, I believe its bonfire season.

Rebekah and Klaus build a large bonfire. Elijah woke up and helped with the bonfire. Hailey got a camera and took pictures of Hope.

Klaus: You know you will have to get rid of that.

Hailey sadly gives the picture to Klaus. He throws it in the fire

Klaus: So how are we going to get rid of Esther?

Hailey: We’ll kill the b****.

This is my first script so it is a little sloppy. Also this is a runoff of the Originals on The CW.