Again and Again... | Teen Ink

Again and Again...

1st July
My parents are gone and it is my entire fault, if I just had my Jewish star with me and if Hitler would just have some sympathy, I would be taken with them.  At least we would have suffered through this dreadful war together.
People dreaded the day the Nazis’ came and started rampaging houses to find Jews, but not me, we were all frightened but thankfully I was snatched away by a kind old man, it may not sound delightful but at least he was not a Nazi.
2nd July
His name is Peter Lace; he’s my savior, my guide to a better life without leaving me upon the streets.
He saw me watching and screaming for my parents, my tears choking my shouts, before the other Nazis’  took me to my doom, he grabbed my arms and dragged me down a slimy alleyway and straight to his house.
I was too sorrowful to care about what happened next, I just wanted to die right there and then, because I had just lost everything.
Peter had tried to calm me down, his hands up, soothing me but without touching me. He whispered sweet words and stoked my hair like I was his own child; he even tackled me when I made a beeline to the door, trying to find my parents.
3rd July
I've been here for a day now, sleeping under his shanty roof.
He’s just a sweet old man who’s just trying to help; I don’t see him often because I have been crying and grieving over my parents. But he brings my food for me in bed and sings me beautiful songs at night and stokes my hair with his gentle hands…
4th July
We’re in the Bomb Shelter now, we hear blood curling screams and shrieks that paralyses your insides and slowly melts away all your hope of surviving…
He clutches me to his chest and holds my hair for dear life, whispering words of comfort. I dig myself into him and cover my ears of the nearby screaming, tears splashing down my face.
5th July
The screams die down and we have been in here for a day now, clutching each other for life, because we only have each other and no one else.
We both wake to the sound of shouting, have they come for us, are they in the Bomb Shelter, we frantically ask these questions to ourselves and soon realize there’re close by, in the house maybe. They’re looking for something, clues, anything of the sort. Luckily they don’t come outside, since thanks to Peter, his wise thinking of locking the door helped and they soon stop trying and speed off.
The bombs had stopped an hour or so ago and we eventually trickle back into the house.  As soon as we have stepped in, our eyes lay on the mess and disaster that has hit us, the house was ransacked by thieves or later as Peter suggested, by the Nazis’.
As soon as we have stepped in the house, Peter went straight to the mysteries cupboard. I followed him through and saw his shoulders start to shake, his arms slumping to his bony sides. He suddenly fell, his face dribbling tiny balls of tears.
He had lost the one thing he valued…
6th July
The next day he calls me to the kitchen and gestures a chair towards me, beckoning me to sit down. His dark eyes turn serious and his hands seem to tense instantly within a second. He slowly starts to tell me all about his child, Mazie Lace, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl; he showed me her photo, the only one left it seems. He told me all about her days, her merry laugh and her crazy warm smile, that changes a dreadful day into a better and brighter day.
A smile that killed all the bad things in the world but they had killed her.
7th July
I had been thinking all about Peter’s daughter all night long, my eyes at the points and slowly tearing up from lack of sleep.
I awoke early and quietly made my way down the stairs, my feet making the wooden steps creak with pain.
As soon as I saw it, I knew something was wrong; a note was placed on the bare wooden table, the paper’s yellow showing alertly. The note contained letters, letters that formed into words and words that finally showed sentences that blended together into a shocking and unbelievable note. Peter Lace has been kidnapped by the Nazis’ and has been said to be kept as a prisoner for keeping a Jewish Child, they say he gave himself up for me and they are taking him to a boot camp and are to gas him soon.
I have lost my family and now the only one who took me in and cared for me like his own child. What was going to happen to him?
I don’t know what I’m going to do?
Paige Helen
The war is not over yet…

houston SILVER said...
on Jan. 5 2015 at 8:55 am
houston SILVER, Joburg, Other

I don't know about life, there is too much to it...

tell me what i can improve on or something