Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

Back to Basics This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This work has won the Teen Ink contest in its category.

By Elizabeth H., Wellesley, MA

As we drove deeper into the middle of nowhere, Susie stared out the window with her headphones on, my mom talked on the phone with her new boyfriend, and I searched the radio for a signal. It had been years since we had gone camping, but as we approached the Maine wilderness, the lingering smell of campfires and the nip of the cool morning air that pulls you out of the tent came back to me.

As a child, camping was an enormous adventure without parallel. I longed for the hours spent fishing and swimming in the lake, riding bikes to the camp store for penny candy, and telling ghost stories around the fire. Camping let me escape and experience a freedom I never had at home. It fulfilled my childhood dream of running away into the forest without any consequences. But as Susie and I got older and began high school, camping became just that, a childhood memory, a lost cause.

Continue Reading »

Be the first to comment on this!