Feedback on "Why Did I Do It?" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Why Did I Do It?"

By ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
--Edgar Allan Poe

"Why Did I Do It?" by Kate Foray is a deep memoir that is filled with both innocence and maturity.  Kate focuses on how the most important thing in her life as a second grader was reading.  It is clear that reading defined her life and shaped her personality from the beginning.  To Kate, browsing through countless books and savoring every word of them was described as “another world away from reality.” Even though reading was her outlet in life, Kate got mocked for it by a bully.  In this memoir, the author conveys a common issue in society that is not as small as others can make it seem.  This is just one of the numerous layers of complexity in the composition.
     Kate’s piece is more than just a snapshot of her childhood--it’s an exceptional story that truly has a lasting effect on the reader.  Kate's reminiscing of a second grade experience may be something little and seem insignificant to readers, but to her this is simply a different perspective on the smaller encounters in elementary school.  The memoir is written remarkably, channeling both a serious tone as well as an naïve one. The use of sophisticated and meaningful thoughts in the memoir combined with a relatable child’s side like the Easter Bunner and jungle gyms captivates reader’s attention.  Therefore, Kate Foray’s piece, “Why Did I Do It?” is genuine, unique, and really makes the reader think.