The Views in Film | Teen Ink

The Views in Film

By elliedorothy BRONZE, Oceanside, California
elliedorothy BRONZE, Oceanside, California

The media portrays heroines as small, skinny, and nealy always white. In film and theatre, the business have taken steps to becoming more inclusive, but let's face it- the majority of the actors and actricess who are the leads are more than likely going to be in shape and probably white. This lack of diversity might not seem like a big deal to those who look like those characters, but for minorities, this issue makes a big impact. 

In an industry that is mostly made up of white people, it is less likely to see a show with a lead who is black or of another race. But even when the show does cast a minority as a lead, chances are that man or woman will be a lighter tone and is mixed in race. This is taking a step out of the lack of diversity, but not by much. This issue isn't just about race though, it is also about the glorification of thin women which then makes larger women feel like they can only get that sort of love if they look like that. People such as Melissa McCarthy and Rebel Wilson are not shown getting the guy. The skinny white girls are the characters who have real love interests. Bigger people are more than likely there to just be the comedic relief. 

Being over a size four and having darker skin, I grew up looking up to cartoons such as Pocahontas and Jasmine since there was no person who looked like me on television. I never felt like I could be someone who acted on T.V because there was no one else like me on there. As I grew up, I pursued acting and even went to a summer program centered on musical theatre. Even though I thrived there, I was still told that I would most likely play the leads best friend and never get the starring role because the film and theatre businesses are still likely to cast white people. 

This hurt. And for a while I thought of quitting theatre all together. But the more I saw shows such as Orange is the New Black which features a range of phenomenal actricess who are not skinny supermodels and all represent real people, I began realizing that yes, getting into the industry will be hard for a person like me, but the shows with diversity are the best ones out there. I realized that I want to be someone who represents a community and someone who kids can look up to because they're like me.

Diversity is so important, which is why television, film, and theatre should include more types of people. Children should be able to grow up and know that they can be anyone they want and have that belief supported since people like them already have successful careers in the field. Hopefully the future will be filled with all types of actors and actricess who are cast as various roles. Representation is something the media should include so every person can feel loved, included, and important.

What inspired me to do this piece was television. Nearly all shows have white leads, and I was really bothered by that since I am neither white or thin. I felt like I couldn't pursue my dream because I was born the way I was and I thought of giving up all together.