Oblivion | Teen Ink

Oblivion

By Kristina964 BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Kristina964 BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

It’s 4:30am and very foggy. In a distance I see the animated silhouettes of the undead. I know my time is coming, the zombies will come for me.  Am I the last living human on earth? Unless there’s some miracle, and another person is alive. I need help, I try to ignore my stinging cuts and the bruised arm the zombie fell on earlier today.
As I look around I spot someone.
“Who is there?” I ask. “WHO IS THERE?” I repeat it, this time louder.
“HELLLPP!” I hear a voice yell, fading in the distance.
I gather myself and run toward it. Thankfully it is a human. I am so relieved to see another person as I help her up. She has dark red hair with black highlights. Her eyes are hazel. The clothes are torn up. There is a huge scar across her leg. I want to ask her about it but there isn’t enough time. We needed to go.
She asks many questions,
“Whats happening?”
“Wheres Jojo?”
“I want to go home.”
“Who are you?”
I am so exhausted, I can barely speak.
“The name’s Ty.  Follow me. Keep close.” I say in a hushed voice.
I don't know how many hours we have been walking silently  in this open field. It has been flat for many miles. I find it very strange, there  are no mountains or any elevated areas. It seems like an arena. Finally the girl breaks the silence,
“My name is Ayummia.”
“You're not from here, huh?” I ask.
“No, I want to go home.” She answers.
“No one is there, there’s no more home.” I state the obvious with regret.
In the distance we hear the thunder and the dark clouds start to form above us. I know it is about to storm, so I find us a tree to stay under. A cave would be nicer, but this will do for now.
“Lets rest here until the storm stops” I say.
48 hours earlier
There was a very busy day ahead of me today, I heard my wife calling my name from the kitchen.
“Honey breakfast is ready!” She called.
“Coming.” I answered
I checked the clock. “7:30am, I hate getting up early.”  When I walked into the kitchen the lights were off, I turned them on.
“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” everyone yelled.
I saw all my family members: cousins, aunts, my wife, and my  sister. I loved my sister, I saw her rarely but she was the best little sister I could have. I loved to annoy her mostly, especially when we were younger. She ran up to hug me and give me a present.
“Thanks toilet face.” I said.
“You're welcome fart breath.” She replied back.
It was the best morning ever, and my wife made the perfect cake. When everyone left I turned on the television. The reporter said that it was going to be very foggy and rainy today, It didn’t seem accurate at the moment because it was very nice out. Then the weirdest thing happened, a bloody hand reached for the reporters microphone.
“GAHHH!!” screamed the reporter.
“GAHHHH! screamed the strange creature back.
Everything after that turned into chaos, people were running and screaming. “What were they all scared of?” I heard someone knock on my door and everything after that was a blur.
I still don't know how I ended up in this foggy, empty field.
48 hours later
I wake up. “How long have I slept for?” The weather is still the same, foggy and rainy. My skin began to crack from a lack of sun. I needed to find my family. “My wife, is she safe? Where is my sister?” My head filled with questions. I try to sorting everything out in my head. I notice my stomach growling. I am beginning to worry. “How will we get food?” Nothing in the distance. Nothing. No bushes. No buildings. No roads.  Just grass and this one tree.
The girl wakes up. I can see dry tears on her cheek. I can hear her stomach growling too.
“So, Whos Jojo?” I ask
She is staring at me but doesn't respond immediately.
“Lets just look for food or people.” Her voice cracks.
“I don't know where to go, it’s just fields all around us!” I exclaim!
She starts to cry, and I am clueless as to how to comfort this stranger.
“Where are you from?” I inquire in an attempt to calm her.
“I’m from Taiwan.” she answers quietly.
“Wow, thats far away.” I respond in total surprise.
She looks confused, “Aren't we in Taiwan?”
“Don't think so, last place I remember was being in Maine.” I say.
“Oh no. I need to get home.” Her facial expression filling with distress.
“I do to,  just calm down.” I answer in irritation.
“Don't tell me what to do!” She said louder this time.
“Listen.” I whisper.
There’s a thud, the ground begins to shake.
“An earthquake?” She asks quietly.
“GET DOWN!” I yell.
The girl is panicking and running around the tree.
“Jojo, Jojo.” Ayummia is screaming over and over.
“Get down if you want to live.” I growl as I try to grab a hold of her.
She finally gets down on the ground and curls up into a ball. I haven't read much about earthquakes but I knew you had to get down. I read my watch, if it still works it is 9:12am.
“Tell me about Jojo.” I ask in an attempt to keep her from shutting down.
“Shes my sister. She just turned six today.” the girl answered meekly.
“I’m worried about my sister too.” I say in an afterthought.
I forgot about it being my birthday, everything happened so fast. The bombs the strange bloody creatures. Everything. All I know is I need to find my family. Finally when the shaking ended I whispered to myself,
“So much for a birthday.”
“What? Whose birthday?” She had heard me.
I forgot that it had been so silent. I could hear her breathing.
“You ask too many questions, it’s supposed to be my birthday.” I respond irritably.
“OH!” She exclaimed.
“Happy Birthday.” she said in a sad tone.
“We should head south of this tree and try to find something. ANYTHING!” I raise my voice.
Finally, after many hours of searching and walking we find....a rock?
On it is a note that reads,
“Wake up?” i read aloud.
With a jerk I wake up. “Was it all just a dream?”
“Ayu!! Where is Ayummia? She’s lost. She’s there all alone!” I scream in a desperate confusion.
“It’s ok, you just had a nightmare Ty.” My sister says as she sits on the bed beside me and puts her arm around my shoulders, our heads lean together.
We both sit there in silence for a long time.
“Ayu.” I whisper to myself.

....