Help Save the Animals | Teen Ink

Help Save the Animals

By Caroline Moore BRONZE, Rancho Mirage, California
Caroline Moore BRONZE, Rancho Mirage, California

Animals in slaughterhouses are treated so cruelly most people choose to turn a blind eye to it.  People go vegetarian for many different reasons.  The reason most people make the decision is to save animals from the pain they will feel before they are brutally killed for human consumption.  People also do it because it can lead to a healthier lifestyle and eating foods with less fat and calories.  There are different disturbing ways companies use to produce mass amounts of meat for not as much money.  Other businesses, such as McDonalds, receive protests for their cruelty towards animals they use in their food.  Making the choice to go vegetarian can save the lives of countless innocent animals.

Thousands of helpless animals are killed daily for their meat, fur, and leather.  In the slaughterhouses of McDonalds, birds are dumped out of their transport crates and hung upside down in metal shackles. The birds also will have their throat cut or immersed in tanks of scalding hot water, while they’re still able to feel the pain.  Most people think that they are kept in nice environments while they are growing or producing offspring or eggs but they are actually crammed into pens so small they can’t move.  Pigs suffer most from this because it is necessary to be able to move and most times they become depressed and don’t move for weeks at a time, not like they could move very much to begin with.  In my opinion animals are not for eating, testing, or wearing.
If you want to help animals but you don’t want to give up meat, you can do other things too.  You can even make a difference with the type of shampoo you buy.  Next time you do buy it check to make sure it’s cruelty free and not tested on animals.  If you buy makeup check before to see if the company tests on animals.  It will also help if you don’t buy real leather or animal fur.  You wouldn’t want to wear or eat a dog so why would you want to do that to cow.  You can also help by standing up to animal cruelty.  Many organizations can inform you on companies that abuse animals.  “In recent meetings, we presented unequivocal evidence of animal abuse, including beatings, the death of a lion, lame elephants forced to perform despite chronic pain, and a baby elephant who died during a training routine.” (Jennifer O’Connor)  This is an example of a circus, The Ringling Bros, who looks innocent but actually was found guilty of all those things and fined with 270 thousand dollars.  It is easy to help these animals by just raising awareness.  It’s not that hard.

Helping innocent creatures is plain and simple.  If you make the decision to stop using products that test on animals, stop eating meat, or just raise awareness of animal cruelty then you are saving lives of those animals.  Think of those animals as your dog, you love your dog to death and you couldn’t ever imagine it being tortured and you would do a lot to save it from that.  Think of cows, chickens, pigs, and bunnies in that way and end animal cruelty.