Educator of the Year : world history clown | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year : world history clown

By juju_theBest SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
juju_theBest SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

never say anything is impossible the word itself says 'i'm possible'

Mr. Geoffrey Ott
Social Studies

Educator of The Year : World history Clown

Most people would say that Mr.Ott stands out as a quirky, fun, and relatable teacher who understands you. Even if he doesn’t have you as a student. He will try to get to know you and “hey, good morning”. You can saw Mr. Ott looks like Alan from the movie the hanger over ( Zach Galifianakis ). You don’t know how many people told him that. From freshman year and sophomore year. New and more freshman student tell him. I wonder if he gets tired of it but not really he laughs at the joke with us.

When you walk into his classroom you don’t get that feeling of “ well this is going to be a boring class” when you’re in there .he is known for his funny jokes and the way he just so cool. He knows that although sometimes what he has to teach may be boring but he makes it exiting. For our grades we took it a little easy in the first marking period we just did worksheets and like two test that wasn’t too hard if you pay attention.

In his classroom he has poster about famous historians, and funny faced posters that will have you laughing. You don’t see Mr. Ott as a very uptight teacher. you see him as one off the coolest teacher that looks and chill back but still gets work done. If you are stuck or didn’t finish your work ,but he seen you working hard he would give you the points for cooperation. If you’re having a bad day or not in a good mood and just need to rest your head.
     He would listen to you and understand what you’re going through. Mr.Ott has been the boys lacrosse team coach for at least 4 years. Since my friend has been on the team since his freshman year. For me Mr. Ott seen I wasn’t being my usual self for a few days and he pulled out the classroom and asked me what was wrong . I was just going through my phase because I just started taking new pills. I was not feeling like my usual self it was some side effects. He is the type of person that would take time and notice if you’re up to it or if your having some personal problems. He sincerely cares we would try to cheer you up.

If your struggling in is class which would be very hard to do. You can stay after school he would try to one on one. He encourages to you try things or show you that you can be at a place where you should be. He would tell me that I should take psychology and would give me a book that helped me understand psychology. There’s not that many teachers who would believe in you and care for you. Mr. Ott is one of those teachers he was one of three of the teachers I connect with. Im glad there are teachers like him and there should be more. I began thinking that maybe im not pushing myself the way I should be and he showed me. It really makes a difference when someone believes in you that you can be the best you can be.