League of Legends on PC | Teen Ink

League of Legends on PC

By Tommy Nguyen BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Tommy Nguyen BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Team up, fight on, and arise victorious! Following the general genre of the MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena), the award winning, free-to-play game, League of Legends, has brought many people together in intense Player vs Player battles for dominance.

First released in 2009, League of Legends was one of the first of the MOBA genre following the structure of DotA (Defense of the Ancients), the first MOBA. Though League of Legends follows the basic structure, it adds a variety of new features such as the brush which is used for hiding and a variety of new maps and game modes.
The most played and well known game mode is a 5v5 battle on Summoner’s Rift, a map consisting of three lanes, towers, and a jungle and river full of monsters in between the lanes. The objective is to reach the enemy base, which is protected by towers, by pushing down the lanes and destroying the towers, inhibitors (structures that once destroyed increase the power of yours or the enemies’ minions) and finally destroying the nexus with the assistance of your minions, teammates and the items you buy with the gold that you earn during the game. There are three other game modes which aren’t as popular, the first one being a 3v3 battle on a two lane map called Twisted Treeline that is similar to Summoner’s Rift. The second is a 5v5 battle where your champion is randomly chosen and on a map called Howling Abyss consisting of only one lane without a jungle. The last one is a 5v5 Dominion game mode on Crystal Scar where capture points are taken to bring the enemies down. Though there are 4 main game modes, many limited time game modes are released and new ones are constantly being made.

With its release the game started with a roster of 40 champions, all having original abilities, personalities and lore. Ever since then the roster has expanded to 123 original champions with many of the original champions also being updated to prevent them from becoming obscure. The roster is also expanding constantly with new champions constantly being released and tested by many veteran players to guarantee that the game stays balanced.

Though it is a great game it does have a few downsides. The average length of an average game is around 35 minutes but matches can be as long as an hour so it is not a good game for anyone who cannot play for long periods of time. The game, like most other multiplayer games, has many negative player. Not everyone is mean but there are those exceptions. Although they will be fixed very quickly, the game still has some bugs. Since the game heavily relies on the strength of your internet connection and the main servers, it will be nearly unplayable with bad internet connection and no one would be able to play if there is a problem with the main servers.

Although all content that affects gameplay is purchasable with earnable in-game currency, the currency takes lots of time to earn so playing it for just a bit will not grant as many earnings as playing for a couple of months.
The game is filled with various characters and constantly expanding with updates on a monthly basis. The game play is fast although slow at the start and graphics are quite good.  The game may have a steep learning curve but the game has a good tutorial for new players to learn the game and the game is set so you play with people around your skill level. The game is very player friendly in terms of content and gameplay and the benefits outweigh the downsides. All in all League of Legends is an excellent game for gamers with free time to play.