Body Cameras on Police | Teen Ink

Body Cameras on Police

By Nikhil Jalla BRONZE, Frisco, Texas
Nikhil Jalla BRONZE, Frisco, Texas

Police Brutality is a huge problem in America today, and few steps are being taken to prevent this injustice. There are numerous cases where a police officer’s motives are put into question, leading to public unrest due to controversy. Whether it is racial, simple hate, or if the police officer is mentally unstable, there is an easy way to bring justice to this problem. Body cameras have been employed in various cities and states already, and have proven to be effective in reducing police brutality.

A brief synopsis of body cameras- body cameras are worth their cost, they don’t revoke any rights (of police or citizens), and have a plentitude of uses. First of all, they can be use for evidence, whether for or against a police. Secondly, a “fear-factor” can be introduced with them. A cop will be less likely to do something their not supposed to, and a possible criminals will be less likely to do something to hurt the cop.

An example of this dire injustice is the murder of Trayvon Martin. A questionable struggle between teenager Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman ultimately led to Martin’s death on the night of February 26, 2012. From investigation,  it was found that Zimmerman felt suspicious about a man walking around on a rainy night.

Zimmerman followed Martin, reaching a struggle between him, and after of unidentified shouts for help and a gunshot, the struggle had ended. But what still seems to be in question is who started this fight and who exactly was the most “brutal”. Had there been use of a body camera, this case would have been more clearly justified, with obvious evidence of who was at fault. Aside from determining who was at fault, utilizing a camera may have prevented from this occurring at all.

Another, more recent example from Missouri; Michael Brown, another teen from Ferguson, Missouri, was shot 12 times by officer Darren Wilson. We’re still unsure whether it was Brown who attacked Wilson, if Brown had raised his hands in the air, or if officer Wilson had been a bit too violent. This is just another clear-cut example where body cameras are the obvious solution. So much could have been avoided with clear evidence, which is exactly what a body camera can provide.

In the big picture, there is no reason not to employ body cameras. As far as the long-term consequences go, this is only beneficial for society. Places outside of America, and many cities within America have found that the use of body cameras have greatly helped their communities. Why shouldn’t we make use of something that so profoundly helps our officers and citizens?

suema said...
on Nov. 3 2015 at 8:39 pm
suema,
how to right a essay paragraph on police officers wearing body camera