Our Constitutional Second Ammendment Rights | Teen Ink

Our Constitutional Second Ammendment Rights

By dragonbear1234 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island
dragonbear1234 BRONZE, Cumberland, Rhode Island

The fact that the government is threatening to ban gun rights in this country is outrageous and unconstitutional. In recent events, you have most likely seen the horrors that have been committed using firearms. Among these are the Aurora shooting and the Sandy hook elementary school shooting. Because of these events, mostly liberal antigun politicians are trying to come out with laws limiting our rights to purchase certain firearms or certain magazines for firearms. I firmly believe that these recent shootings have no blame on the guns themselves rather the shooters and the owners should be held accountable for their actions.

During all of these cases, the way that the killer got ahold of the firearm was through irresponsible people. For example, the shooting in Connecticut happened because the killer’s mother hadn’t secured her firearms when she knew that her son had mental issues. She did not lock up her guns in a safe and she failed to store the ammunition in a second, hidden location. Because of this, the killer was able to get ahold of the firearms that he used to kill 26 people. On the other hand, in Colorado, the firearms that the killer used were bought without a proper background check. He was also able to make homemade had grenades and booby trap his apartment. These people were mentally disturbed and some pro-gun citizens even call them evil.

In my personal opinion, I think that instead of taking away gun rights by limiting guns, we should support guns and allow more people to carry and use firearms properly. What a mentally ill criminal sees when he is threatening his/her victim with a gun is a target. It would be like putting a cat in a cage with a mouse and not giving the mouse anything to defend itself with. Schools should allow able bodied teachers to be able to carry concealed firearms so that they can protect themselves against an armed gunman. If the teachers in Connecticut had guns, they would have been able to shoot back at the shooter instead being helpless, waiting to be shot.
I also believe that we should continue to allow military style firearms like the AR-15. The AR-15 is currently one of the most popular gun models in the country. President Obama stated, “Weapons that are designed for soldiers don’t belong on our streets. To use an assault rifle that is designed to pump out as many bullets as possible, as quickly as possible using bullets used to inflict maximum damage”. The NRA quickly proved this statement wrong by demonstrating the .223 AR-15, a Remington 30-60, and a 12 gauge shotgun side my side. They showed that the AR-15, the firearm that they are trying to ban, has less of an impact than a 30-960 and the 12 gauge. Also, the cities with the strictest gun laws have the highest murder rate by firearm (Washington D.C.) which proved that it doesn’t matter if civilians have guns or not when criminals will always get ahold of them.

Furthermore I believe that the only way that people can effectively defend themselves against a criminal with a firearm is with a firearm in the hands of the person being defended. I do not agree with President Obama or any of the antigun politicians because they are trying to restrict a right that has been used to protect more people than it has hurt. It is our rights as United States Citizens to up keep and exercise our right to bear arms.