Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By 5keehns SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
5keehns SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

A limited number of teachers can make school enjoyable -- even a trivial amount of principals can do so.  I’m not from from completing high school and one principal stands out.  In a flawless way.  Mr. Thome is more than just an elementary school principal.  He is a dad and a compassionate human.  From a simple “Hi, Spenser”. To him walking around the lunch room engaging with the students. 
Mr.Thome knew success started at a young age.  Consistently during the morning announcements he would say, “Work hard.  Do your best.  And learn as much as you can.”  Not a day goes by that I don’t think of those words.  Recently I had to study for a math test but I didn’t really want to.  I started watching tv and asked myself, “How am I getting ready for the test?”  I wasn’t working hard, doing my best and definitely not learning anything helpful.  I went to my room to study for 30 minutes and felt more confident.  I got the test back and received a 93%.  These words stick in my head -- and will remain so.  These words motivate me to keep striving because it is truly the recipe for success. 
I still remember one day we were playing kickball and he came out to watch.  Of course, he didn’t just watch.  He cheered for me and everyone else.  At times, I thought he was a cheerleader.   He even went on the field and would briefly play with us.. 
Mr.Thome also helped in the classroom.  He would walk in our class at least once a week and hangout for 10-20 minutes time.  When he entered the classroom, smiles would spread across the room like a wildfire.  He consistently showed the biggest smile on his face.  He did more than just cheer the class up.  If a student had a question, and the teacher was busy, he would help the student.  I can recall one class we were learning about the revolutionary war and was not as easy topic for the class.  Our group was confused with the question being asked.  Our teacher, at the time, was busy helping another group.  Mr.Thome walked in and started asking us about our day and weekend plans.  After that brief conversation we asked him if he knew anything regarding the war.  Turns out he loves history.  It was a walk in the park for him and he made it seem like one for us too.