Educator of My Life | Teen Ink

Educator of My Life

By Micah Gissibl BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
Micah Gissibl BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

When I was in the fifth grade, my parents were divorced for almost a year. It took a tole on me drastically. Some days, I would start crying during class because I missed my dad. Not only did the divorce cause pain from my father leaving me, but I was also made fun of at my Christian school for having divorced parents.

My teacher, Mrs. Salemi, came up to me one day, and asked why I was crying. With teary eyes, I told her boys explained to me that my dad didn’t love me. That it was my fault my parents divorced.

She told me, “Honey, you're too sweet for that to be true.”

I laughed, it may not have been exactly the response I was expecting, but it sure made me smile. The little things can change my perspective on life, for me, it was my role in the divorce. It made me realized there was nothing I could have done or stopped doing to have changed my dad’s decision on leaving.

Everyday, Mrs. Salemi would ask me how I was doing because she knew how much of an impact the divorce was taking on me, especially as the oldest sibling. I remember asking her to talk to me during recess. She knew just by my look, that whatever I was going to tell her had been hurting me. As I started to talk, I felt myself stuttering.  It felt like there was a hot piece of metal trying to squeeze its way down my throat as I told her that I simply couldn’t do it anymore.

“I can’t do this anymore.” The words escaped me before I could even finish what I had to say. “Oh, it’s okay honey, come here. You are loved so dearly by your mother. She loves you so much.”

I remember her telling me this frequently while hugging me. This made me feel loved, appreciated and cared for. I remember her being there for me whenever I needed a hug. Her hugs were like a warm, snuggly, bear coat, wrapped around me on a cold, winter’s evening. It made me appreciate her in my life, and without her I don’t know if I would be the same person I am today.
Thank you Mrs. Salemi for being such a great teacher, role model, and a mother-figure for me during a such a hard time.