You can't go home again.... | Teen Ink

You can't go home again....

By onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other
onetrueword DIAMOND, Chiang Mai, Other

In the 1500’s, during the Suri Dynasty, of the Mughal Empire of India, seven incredible diamonds were mined and cut to celebrate the ruling family. The seven diamonds were each a different color, each more than eight carats in size, and nearly flawless. The diamonds were of significant cultural importance to the royals and the lay people; they were believed to hold mystic powers, gifted to India from the gods - earning the name, The Seven Stars.
In the late 1800’s, while India was under the rule of the British Empire, The Seven Starts went missing; allegedly stolen by British soldiers to crush the spirits of the local people who resisted colonization. The story goes that The Seven Stars were smuggled over the Silk Road to England, where they secretly became part of the British monarchy’s jewelry collection. The story goes on that they were sold to America during World War II to raise money to fund their defense against Germany. In the 1950’s, The Seven Stars suddenly appeared on display in the New York Metropolitan Museum, shocking the world, and causing India to issue a multimillion dollar reward for their return. Fortune hunters have hungrily plotted to steal the diamonds back and claim the reward ever since.
Zaroff, the hunter of humans, and self-indulgent “Duke” of Ship-Trap Island, was now out of money, as he wasted too much buying weapons and limitless expensive luxuries.  Now, with his inheritance nearly spent, Zaroff had to find a way to quickly make a large amount of cash quickly... but how?
As he began to ponder the situation, he began to chant, “ I…..I need money!” He reiterated the mantra several times, but his servant only looked at him as if he was some sort of insane man. Out of panic and frustration, he began grabbing piles of papers off his desk and scattering them about the floor, throwing them in the air and watching them glide and land softly on the polished floor. Suddenly, he saw a newspaper that his servant had brought from India while there to buy some expensive materials for Zaroff. There was a story on the front page about The Seven Stars, reporting on the decades-old promise that if someone steals back the gorgeous diamonds, and repatriates them to India, then they would given a generous reward by the Ministry of Culture; about three-times that of the street value of the diamonds. After reading this article, he was so exhilarated that he let out a shout that shook the walls of the castle. He knew he had found his answer!
After celebrating his good fortune of finding a solution to his cash problems and being able to continue his lavish life of the finest luxuries and pursuing his hobby of luring ships to their wreckage and turning the passengers onboard into frantic prey, he became concerned about whom he could find to help him pull off the great theft. The person had to be a docile man who was deft at obtaining underground information and cracking top security systems. He suddenly remembered his estranged nephew in the Ukraine, who was a great electronics expert, often hiring his talents out to the criminally insane, just like Zaroff. This solution was perfect! Who else could you trust with something like this other than family?
Thrilled with his plan, he quickly packed and made travel arrangements.  After eating a hearty meal, enjoying a fine cognac, and seeing to a few details, he went to bed, rising early to set off on his quest.  He had to sneak in to the Ukraine to retrieve his nephew, and an ancient freighter that he had captured would inconspicuously do just the trick. Preparing the rusty vessel, he set off.
Several days later, when he arrived in Kiev in his dilapidated ship, he went directly to a dank tavern, well known for being the gathering place of the scum of the underworld. Once inside, he made a few enquiries about his nephew, took up a table in the far corner, and waited.
Soon, a young, weak looking man came to him and said, “Are you Zaroff?”
“Yes, I’m Zaroff; and who are you?” he said, studying the young man intensely.
"I am Vladimir, your nephew. I work for Russia gathering intelligence in the  United States, but I came here for a vacation to see my family.”  He paused, "You should try it some time... seeing family...."
As he let the insult land on Zaroff, he poured his estranged uncle a cup of warm, very expensive Chinese tea. As soon as Zaroff heard that Vladimir was a spy in United States, little else  mattereds - he focused on the great fortune of the family reunion.
“I have an imperative issue to discuss with you; the true reason why I came to the Ukraine.”
“It must be because of  money...?  Surely you haven't spent that vast fortune that Grandpa had left you?”
“Um….it would take about 10 years to recount everything, so let me summarize my proposition: I am going to the United States to steal the famous Seven Stars from New York and repatriate them to India, to replenish my fortune. I need someone of your caliper of skills to be my accomplice - will you go with me?”
Vladimir, with his fast-spinning brain said, “Do you mean you are going to steal the world-famous diamonds which are housed in the New York Metropolitan Museum?"
"That's exactly what I intend to do," replied Zaroff.
Vladimir brightened, "Well, it so happens that I have a shady friend who works there.... Hey! Wait a minute..." he pondered out loud.  "Why would I want to work with you if I have my own connections and could swing the job myself?”
Zaroff, with his placid voice said, “And how, in your condition, do you plan to pull off such a heist by yourself?” He continued, "Even if you did somehow physically get the diamonds out of the museum, how would you then transport them to India? Hop a plane with a pocket of the world's most famous jewels? Good luck! I have a seaworthy, licensed freighter out in the harbor right now - perfect for getting across the ocean without a first glance by the international authorities."
The younger, but much weaker man slowly let his shoulders fall, slouching forward. The action made him look so frail, Zaroff considered that he might just crumble to a pile of dust.  After a long and painful pause, he started slowly, “Sure... why not...? I can be the brains and you can be the body... but, you must agree to split the reward money fifty-fifty, minus the expenses of course.”
“Haha, don’t forget that you are talking to your Uncle Zaroff! I am the most honest and hard working thief and murderer in the world.” He gave a little wink and a small smile crept to the corners of his lips as he held his hand out forward to shake.
“I hope so….” Vladimir said softly as he took his uncle's strong hand and tried to give it as firm a shake as he could.
Seven days later, after preparing a long list of paraphernalia needed to complete the journey, and the heist, Vladimir and Zaroff set out for New York.
Everything worked the way that they planned. Vladimir was not only an expert at breaking top-level security systems, he also had valuable connections for obtaining fake passports and visas. As Vladimir promised, his friend acquired and forwarded them coded messages describing the specs and layout of the Museum, as well as the security system that protected it. Zaroff was pleased to see that his nephew was encouraged by the information and confident in his abilities to pull off the technical aspects of the caper.  Slowly, New York was getting closer, and so was Zaroff's answers to the problem of his disappearing fortune.
Finally, they arrived! The freighter's documentation checked out as hoped, and they chugged their way up the eastern seaboard of the United States, approaching the bustling and polluted waters of New York Harbor.  After settling in, and getting a much-needed rest, it was finally time to put their plan into action.
When the museum was almost closed and the last of the visitors were filing out into the New York evening air, Zaroff and Vladimir snuck into the Museum wearing security uniforms that had been perfectly counterfeited based on the information given by Vladimir's contact. There was a heavy metal door which needed to open in order to unlock the security system. Zaroff opened the door in 2 seconds. After luring the security guards away and turning off the CCTV and motion detecting laser beam, it was easy for them to steal 7 diamonds which were being opened to be cleaned. However, at that time,  a very hard working night watchman who wore a very old security uniform was walking around to make sure everything was safe, although his working hour was way over. His name was Jim. He worked in other places, but they never paid him much, so he changed his job. When he first came, he had no money to buy a new security guard. His only way to get a uniform was to buy it from the retired security man, who wore it for more than 20 years. As he was checking everything else, he noticed that the CCTV, and motion detecting laser beam was off. His responses of checking what happened was so quick that Vladimir and Zaroff  dropped one of the largest diamonds. Jim, instead of keeping the diamond, even though he  was poor, showed it to police officer. This gave the police a huge clue to find out who stole it.
The next morning, the museum was closed. Every single news station was talking about the diamonds. The only clue was the fingerprint, which made the new technologies to be impotent. However Harry Pope, was known as the stubborn racist policeman. He used to live in Bangalore, India but came back to his hometown as he was almost poisoned by a snake and had fears about the place. Anyway, he had a feeling that a black person must have done the crime which complicated the investigation.He mumbled himself, “ Oh, I hate black people”. He went to the staff room, where all the cleaning ladies were making sure everythings are clean. All of them were mexicans, except for one woman. She was a large woman who had dark skin. So Harry talked to her.
“ Hey, you! What’s your name?”
“ Luella Bates Washington Jones, sir.”
“ I accuse you as being the inside person.”
“ What!!”
As Mrs. Luella knew he was a racist man and had a lot of experience, she said very kindly.
“ Mr. Pope, I never was an inside person for anyone”
The other museum custodians agreed with her as she was always honest, hardworking, and kind to everyone.
After work, Mrs. Luella went back home, not knowing that Harry Pope was following her to see if she really was the “ inside” person or not. As she was walking, she heard someone screaming.
“Help!!!! Mrs. L….ue...la!”
At the moment, she heard that Mr. Pope screaming she just turned around and kicked the boys who were trying to attack him and steal money. All the boys disappeared and Harry said, “I’m really sorry.”
“It’s OK.  I understand why you thought like that. Have a wonderful night, Mr. Pope.”
From then on, Harry Pope never accused her as being the inside person.
However, in the meantime Vladamir and Zaroff tried to leave the U.S and go to India but there were lookouts and security at all airports. Zaroff was going to drive the boat, but when he was escaping from the museum he injured his hands so he couldn’t drive. Because of this, they hired one of Vladamir’s friend who is known as the best sailor in the world, Stefano Roi.
Zaroff explained everything and decided to give 20% of the profit to Stefano, but he was not satisfied with it.  So Zaroff intimidated Stefano with his gun and he agreed. While, he was sailing he shouted, “Oh no! There is a shark!”. Stefano said he has fears about sharks but soon, he was brave enough to overcome it. However, with Stefano’s great sailing skills, they safely arrived in India.
When they arrived in India, the U.S government found out who they were by their fingerprint, and realized they were criminals. Stefano and Zaroff headed to the Ministry of Indian Culture, in New Delhi. But the head of the Ministry of Indian Culture realized the men were criminals and would use the reward to fund crime, and decided it was not worth retrieving India’s treasures. So, a million dollars worth of innocent treasure in the hand of thieves were worthless and the 7 gorgeous diamonds could never return home again .