Why Are We Obsessed With Celebrities? | Teen Ink

Why Are We Obsessed With Celebrities?

By Sarah_J GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island
Sarah_J GOLD, Cumberland, Rhode Island

"Death is a destination we all share."

Celebrities are the hot topic of gossip everyday. Many cannot go a day without reading the juiciest news of the day. The public never seems to get enough of every intricate detail of celebrities’ lives. Why do people need to be informed of all their personal details? 

Here are various reasons why people keep themselves up to date with celebrities. They inspire us. There are lots of celebrities that inspire us such as Taylor Swift and Johnny Weir. To a certain crowd Taylor Swift may give them incentive to dress less provocatively while Johnny Weir may motivate them to follow his exploits like diligence and passion. Often times, they help us escape from reality. Some may pay attention to what a celebrity does in the sense of dismissing their minds from their own life problems. They also frustrate us. They entertain us. Sometimes, they even shock us. Above all, they make us jealous.

People are envious of superficial belongings hence it is not uncommon to obsess over celebrities’ wealth and possessions. Don’t we envy that Kim Kardashian is famous and has lots of money that allows her to go anywhere she wants, to buy trendy clothes, and to do anything she desires whenever she wants to? This is not most teens’ everyday life. Most of us do not own a $20-million-dollar estate filled with luxuries we see only on screen. The only times we feel superior than Kardashian is when we hear news of something she may have done that was faulty. Their misfortunes please us inside.

As with Kim Kardashian another example of our criticizing a celebrity is Justin Bieber. Beiber started out his singing career successfully because the media spotted his talent, and an immense number of teenagers supported him. After gaining widespread fame at such a young age, the media began to disfavor and dis him of his imperfections. Not before long, Bieber was all over the news for doing drugs. So too have hundreds of thousands of people all around the world. So, what is the fascination with Justin?

There are obvious reasons for putting celebrities on the line. We know their name, we have seen them on television, they tweet everything they do; and so we feel like we know them. However, the media almost reports news about them as if we expect them to be more moral, more intelligent, and more of whatever else that surpasses the average person. When our expectations are broken, we get a little annoyed that they are not the way they are “supposed to be.” Sometimes, we even get obsessed with their downfalls because we are jealous and wish them harm.

There are celebrity reports of who divorced whom, who gained weight, who was seen where and who is pregnant. Do we secretly wish that we could live their lives? Not really. People are secretly jealous of celebrities and want to see them fail.