Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

By ValerieH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
ValerieH SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Who’s behind the scenes of students’ tediously selected courses for the year? Who puts up with scheduling and rescheduling their appointments with the guidance counselors to have them change their minds once more, only days before the semester is to begin? It’s not the teachers, that’s for sure. But none other than Arrowhead’s beloved Mrs. Morrison.
Mrs. Morrison is one sassy gal (With all respect intended). She deals with moody teenagers that are convinced the world does, in fact, revolve around them. But never does she allow them to believe that; she still puts up with it nonetheless.
Other than doing her job, she farther than what is expected with students when they take the time to notice it. I walk into her office at least twice (if not more) times a day. And every time, she doesn’t have to look up to know it’s me.
“Hi Mrs. Morrison!”
“Hello Miss Huebner.”
As busy as she is, she  makes time for small talk with her students.
As a young adult I find it self satisfying to tell someone what’s going on in my life. That’s where Mrs. Morrison comes in. Updating her on what’s new with me comes naturally. Telling her the latest gossip of high school drama, how I got accepted to colleges, and above all how I’m doing. She’ll give me cookies to go along with our chats. 
Gayle does more than one could fathom, and as a secretary for a school as large as Arrowhead, I strongly believe she deserves recognition.
So the next time changing classes two, three, or four times before a semester starts, be sure to take the time to appreciate what she does in order to make that happen.