Favorite teacher | Teen Ink

Favorite teacher

By Jacob Weber BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Jacob Weber BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

Teachers are thought of as bland and boring. Very few teachers stand out in my mind as they all seem to blend together. But this all changed in 7th grade as I met the most engaging teacher I had while attending middle school.
Walking into my Social Studies class, my teacher didn’t look like your typical teacher because he was very short, bald, and wore glasses.  I remember he was very energetic and eager to teach our class everything there was to know about the world. He would speak in the different accents of the countries he would teach us about. I remember one time he brought his glasses collection to show us. He was enthusiastic about his job and encouraged us by entertaining the class and made learning fun.  He would  tell the class jokes and stories like how he went to Asia for a week and then he  brought back souvenirs and pictures for us to look at.
I remember how my middle school classmates were disappointed when he had to retire because he was liked by everyone. Thinking back, I really wish that I would have been a better student, but realize Mr Gissen that he was one of the best teachers i've had and thats why im nominating him for teacher of the year.