Misunderstanding Islam | Teen Ink

Misunderstanding Islam

By MaBecerra BRONZE, Bogota, Other
MaBecerra BRONZE, Bogota, Other

Two days before my second birthday, on September 11, 2001, my parents sat and watched the news while I mindlessly played with my toys. Although I wasn’t aware of it, the world had changed, my world had changed. From then on, 9/11 was not a random number, it was a memorial, a tribute to those fallen. But the changes in my life were nothing compared to the ones in the lives of the millions of muslims around the world. In the eyes of many Islam stopped being a religion and became a stereotype of terrorism. I believe it is time for the world to be educated on the true Islam, instead of the face represented by extremists.

We have a wrong preconception of the muslim culture, as a birthplace for violence and oppression against women. Yet, like many other stereotypes, this must end. Because of misguided ideas, we blame the religion for violence, terrorism, oppression against women, and other similar acts. Only those living in countries infested with these problems realize the truth. The religion does not guide all muslims to violence, but a mere few groups of extremists. Jean Sasson, author of many books on Islam culture once said  “we must nourish the minds of our young with learning that creates understanding between ethnic and religious groups.” Universal understanding of the diverse religious and ethnic groups may one day lead to the flourishing of peace. 

Some strongly argue it is the Quran which guides muslims to violence, with verses such as 2:191; “"And kill them wherever you find them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out…”. Yet they choose to ignore the fact that all holy books encouraged violence, for it was a common act in such times. For even the Bible says in Jeremiah 48:10 “Cursed be he who holds back his sword from blood.” As we read them now, we know these passages and claims are absurd, and in the essence of many religions, killing is a crime. But at the times when the Holy books were written, it was common to see killings by Christians, Muslims, or Jews. Following these passages would be “irrational” and “misguided” says Sasson, and if the prophets and messiahs of each religion could see how their sayings are used for violence, they would surely “end such silly tradition.”
As of 2011, more than 23% of the world population was made up of muslims. That means almost 1.5 billion people who are being judged or mistreated unreasonably. Many can’t afford to go to the airport without the stares, comments, or even ‘random’ security checks. Instead of seeing the face of a peaceful stranger, many choose to see the face of  danger and terrorism. Hate crimes are seen daily, and discrimination is a must in the media. Is it not time to change? As a global community, we aim towards the end of gender inequality, where both men and women have the same opportunities. We dream of the end of wars, and a time when we can walk the world without the worry of violence. We achieved the end of slavery and began to recognize every human as an individual being with rights and responsibilities. Why not include the end of religious discrimination to the group?

Works Cited
   Khalifa, Rashad. "Al-Baqra 191-193." Quran: The Final Testament: Authorized English Version, with the Arabic Text. Fremont, CA: Universal Unity, 2001. N. pag. Print.
   Sasson, Jean P. Princess: A True Story of Life behind the Veil in Saudi Arabia. New York: Morrow, 1992. Print.
   Waite, D. A. "Jeremiah 48:10." The Defined King James Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments Translated out of the Original Tongues and with the Former Translations Diligently Compared and Revised by His Majesty's Special Command. Collingswood, NJ: Bible For Today, 1999. N. pag. Print.