Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

How to Avoid the Commitment Cycle

By Lisa W, West Roxbury, MA

“Dear Editor, I’m so in love that I’m going to ask her to marry me. I want to tell her that I love her in 100 different ways, one for each day that I have known and loved her. She is without a doubt, the one. What should I do?”
Mark is proposing to his girlfriend of two years. He wants to tell her he loves her in 100 different ways, "...one for each day that [he] has known and loved her." What Mark does not fully understand is what he is getting himself into. Year after year, thousands of young couples tie the knot and with it a few years of their lives to one another. Wooed by the romantic ideals of our society, they are not yet ready to commit, but feel that, with time, their love will grow and endure. This is unfortunately, not the common case- as 1 in 2 marriages end in a divorce in five years or less and 3 in 5 adults have been married at least twice.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

1 comment(s)
Sir_Bromsten
Funny, for a second I had no idea where you were going with this piece.  I thought for a couple minutes you were one of those Hollywood-siding evolutionism-prove Darwin correct type of people, but then I read the last couple of paragraphs, and saw that you weren't. :)  Good thing too, it's rare that I come across such an true and accusational essay like this.  I love it!
Nov. 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM • Report
Close