Feedback on "Distance" | Teen Ink

Feedback on "Distance"

By ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
ayah52001 GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality."
--Edgar Allan Poe

The poem, “Distance,” is a great example of the type of writing that comes up to you, punches you in the face and then walks away.  Abbi Warren does a phenomenal job confronting the fact that people use distance as a scapegoat for not facing their fears.  She claims that everyone is guilty of creating excuses and lying to one’s self in avoidance of a challenge.  Abbi says what people are afraid of admitting: Running away from your problems doesn’t solve anything, rather it makes it worse.
     “Distance” is not only unique in its message but also in its structure.  Spacing, line breaks, and word choice clearly makes this poem exceptional.  The lines, “D i s t a n c e/ is a kind of understated cowardice./ Tricks of the mind, one that/ everyone/is capable of..” demonstrate the ingenuity of this writing.  Abbi’s poem is brimming with honesty as harsh as it may be to admit.  She gives the cold, hard truth on the subject and executes it eloquently.