Winter's Embrace | Teen Ink

Winter's Embrace

The sun hide behind the clouds, night was ever so approaching. The white flurries danced and swirled across the vast hills. A white blanket covered what was once a forest thriving with green and life. Not many people could survive in the cruel mistress know as winter for more than a few days. But as famously said, life found a way.
The small youth struggled through the snow, each step taking him one step closer to death. He was wrapped in a assortment of patched coats, mismatched gloves and hats. The human boy could barely be seen under the pile of winter gear. Yet the boy still felt cold. The boy shivered when he simply looked at the vast empty fields of white. The boy continued on trudging through snow that went up to his knees. Each step simply filled the air with a crunch. Still something disturbed the silence. The boys faced crunched and he strained his ears to locate the sound. A dog but not one. Larger, nastier, a true beast of winter. The boy scrambled, grasping under his mountain of coats. Snow exploded off in the distance, an ominous shadow darting out and towards the boy. The boys chest felt lighter as he pulled out a  knife full of age, rusted, dull, long past its expiration date.  The beast approached closer, baring its own knives, sharp, shiny, and ready to kill. The knife shook right out of the boys hand. The boys face widen, and he dove for the ground, his only safety. The beast lunged, closing the distance in seconds till he was on the boy. The boy on all fours reached for the knife, till the beast loomed over him and  swatted him away. Snow exploded where the boy landed. White covered the boys vision. The boy’s head shook side to side, his eyes squinting as he grasped for an end to the white. Slowly the boys vision became filled with a beast black as the approaching night, light on fire from the descending sun. The boy only shall death, till regaining his senses, clenching his fist around salvation, the knife. The beast towered over the boy, eyes gleaming. Silence descended as Beast and Man stood across from each other. The sun barely peaked over the hill, illuminating the weapons of both the youth and beast. The beast lunged at the boy, boy swung and darkness. Winds howled, and snow once again danced across the white land. Crunch, Crunch, could be heard, becoming more distant, till only the Winter stood.