Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

In past school years, I have never really had a teacher that is worthy or deserving of an award for their teaching. This year, however, I definitely do not have any doubt in picking a teacher. Shawna Steplock, my English II teacher, who works at East Bernard High School, is very deserving of an Educator of the Year Award.

Shawna Steplock has not only provided me with a proper education but, has also taught me things I can use later in life. She teaches us using occasional anecdotes, such as the time she spoke to us about unruly students at other schools, which is easier to apply to real life situations than worksheets. She also teaches us patience and how to be responsible using the former method. She caters to every student’s needs, which makes our learning experience more meaningful and worthwhile.

I am typically a student who struggles with English, however, this year my seventy averages have jumped up to a ninety average. I am not trying to degrade any of my previous English teachers; I just could not relate to their teaching methods or thought process. The reason I have learned more from Steplock in comparison to past teachers is because she has high expectations but helps us set goals to reach said expectations and always offers help if you need it. She also gives us opportunities for extra credit every six weeks because she understands how hectic our personal and extracurricular lives can be.

Shawna Steplock has nurtured me into the student I am today by not only preparing us for the future, but improving our present performance with belief in our abilities.