Home Sweet Home | Teen Ink

Home Sweet Home

By BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida
BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”
G.K. Chesterton

"And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you."
Denis Johnson

Waking up from my room upstairs, I scramble out of my full-sized princess themed bed and run downstairs. It’s here where most of my memories take place, downstairs. I skip into the living room across the hall where I find my mother. She sits in her chair that faces the TV; reading her Bible with a nice cup of steaming coffee seated beside her. She notices me standing there, finally. A huge smile envelops my face as she smiles back.

“Good morning, Jasmine. Is Maurice still sleeping?”  She asks in a sweet, motherly ton as I stroll over to her.

I nod, “Is Daddy coming home for lunch?”

“Yes, but he only has a short time before he has to leave, so make sure you give him some space to eat,” replies Mother.

I nod in reply and swiftly press a gentle kiss to my mother’s cheek. I turn and walk into the kitchen where I begin to make myself a lovely cup of hot chocolate; ever child’s favorite drink.

“Don’t make a mess in there, Jasmine.” announces my mother.

“OK, I won’t,” I respond.

Then I hear my 13-year-old brother come downstairs and I can’t restrain myself from laughing hysterically. He wears my light blue headband covered in jewels of various colors. He also wears my robe with a lunatic grin over his face; just imagine a teenaged boy wearing an outfit like this: comical! My brother would always attempt—and succeed—to do stupid things to simply make me smile and enlighten my above-average day.

I was writing about a memory that I will cherish forever: a memory of a time when life was carelessly joyful.

on Apr. 30 2015 at 11:58 am
Jensen_Interceptor BRONZE, Berlin, Montana

The scientists and engineers who are building the future need the poets to make sense of it.
- Jason Silva

Hey! Wow this evokes some nostalgia for me! I think there might be a little syntax error in the first paragraph so maybe consider approaching that... despite that, It was a really cool little vignette! Two thumbs up!