Arranged Disaster | Teen Ink

Arranged Disaster

By Irma Alibasic SILVER, Skopje, Other
Irma Alibasic SILVER, Skopje, Other

Arranged marriages are marriages where the bride and groom are selected by someone else, rather than by each other. The percentage of marriages in the world that are arranged is 55%, according to statistics (Arranged / Forced Marriage Statistics). Those marriages mostly happen in India, Bangladesh, Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and some other muslim countries, because Islam is one religion which uses arranged marriages the most.

Parents can arrange the marriage, but other relatives have the right to also. People think that parents know their child well, so they can choose a suitable partner who can make the couple have a successful marriage, although if the bride or groom opposes, the process may stop. But this may not happen if the arranged marriage is a forced one. Parents choose the partner, and even if the bride or groom disagrees, the marriage will still happen.

I am against arranged marriages, but every bad thing has its benefits. First of all, they may succeed because the couples are perfectly matched. They belong to the same culture, they speak the same language, share the same religion and their way of thinking may be similar. This can make it easier for the couple to understand and know each other better. Then, the idea of divorcing is unimaginable. Since the couples share the same culture, in which people’s views about family and marriage are alike, the chance of divorcing is not big. And if the marriage is a forced marriage, the bride’s or groom’s parents will not allow divorcing no matter what, which is not so fair. Statistics show that the global divorce rate for arranged marriages is only 6% (Arranged / Forced Marriage Statistics).

Spouses, if they belong to traditional societies, they will probably live with their parents in-law. The advantage of this is that when couples have problems and in times of difficulty, they can count on the help of their parents or parents in-law undoubtedly.

As I said, I am against arranged marriages and I have strong and powerful disadvantages of them to prove it. The first thing I would like to mention is that in arranged marriages, love is not the first priority, and love, in my opinion, is the most important thing in a marriage. If two people are not in love with each other, why would they marry?

People who arrange the marriages don’t care if the bride and groom are in love, they believe that after some time the love may bloom.

Being unable to choose who you’ll be spending your life with, is the second big disadvantage. Choosing your wife or husband, needs time and is a personal decision which influences you and your life. In arranged marriages, the process of marriage occurs in a short time and you are not able to choose your partner.

Many people have a question on their mind; Why do arranged marriages happen?

Since there were some people in my family whose marriages were arranged, I asked my grandmother and she told me some reasons;

Many years ago people were not allowed to marry someone of a different culture and religion, that’s why parents arranged marriages and chose a partner for their daughter or son. Then, families which were poor and didn’t have enough money, would like to provide a better future for their daughter or son by choosing a partner for them who is wealthier and belongs to a different class. They would like to ensure wealth, land and property in their family. Arranged marriages also happen because there is a lot of family peer pressure.

I hope that the progress of modern societies, which is believing in independent choice of marriage, will spread more and more in the countries where arranged marriages happen (traditional societies), and their thoughts and beliefs will change over time.

"Arranged / Forced Marriage Statistics." Statistic Brain RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2015.