Journey | Teen Ink

Journey

A twitch from my right causes me to jump instinctively, and my eyes look around wildly, fearing to see and not to see. Every step I take causes my soul to shake, and I clutch at my chest like a shield.  I slowly hum as time passes by, and I hear what seems like a soft echo.  I rub my arms, goose bumps crawling all over my arms, touching the end of my battered arm.

I fear for everything, any small indication of danger sending a wave of shock through me.  I start running all of a sudden, hearing-fearing-I don’t know what to do. My sanity has long been gone, and I feel my eyes searching for something- or someone.  Footsteps are heard, and I have no idea whether they’re mine, or not. I quickly cover my mouth with my other hand to quiet the choked screams.  I stop, and I let my feet go, falling to the floor.

There’s no one in sight. No one has found me. I’m alone here.  I turn my head up, and hope for a sign. My identity is unknown to me, and I search in vain for an answer.  Footsteps are once again heard, and a gentle hand touches my shoulder.  My body

trembles at the cold touch, and I slowly turn back.
“Calm down, my child.”  My mother says to me, her voice invoking a sense of relief almost too sudden. I stand up slowly, and she wraps me in a warm blanket, holding me gently.  I stiffen a threatening sob as the realization gets to me.

“I was alone, mother.” I say, straightening up.

“I know, young one.” She whispers, hiding behind her mask of calm that I have long ago learned to imitate. Her eyes search for any wound that she might have overlooked, and for a second I fear she might break like glass. She  leans down and touches my face, kissing me softly on the cheek before standing back up.

“We must leave now. If we don’t hurry up soon, they’ll all leave without us. We won’t know where we’re going if we’re not with them.” She wraps her fingers around mine, and we start moving forward. I feel my mother’s warmth as we walk quickly, and my heart slowly returns to its normal state.  I feel comfort in feeling our footsteps hit the wet mud softly, trees rustling silently before us.

Now that the fear has subsided, I remember the sadness at leaving my home with my mother. She never told me why we left; only that it was necessary for our survival. Her words confused me then, and I still wasn’t too sure now. But nevertheless I believed in my mother’s words, deep inside thinking maybe it had to do with my father’s departure a few days ago.

We remain quiet for hours, the welcoming silence comforting to me.  Never ending trees surround us, and for a moment I believe we are walking into eternity. She finally stops, and her feet turn to jelly. I scream as she falls down.

“Momma! Momma!”  I yell, reaching for her.

Please...please let her be alright. Please...

“Shh.Shh, it’s alright….It’s alright. I’m fine.” She says quietly, holding herself,…“Were almost there.”

I bite my lip in frustration, and I curse myself for being small and useless. Slowly I help her position herself on the rock beside her. I notice her quick breaths of air, and I touch her forehead. My fingers feel the immense burning heat for a second, before my mother pushes my hand away.

“There’s…a pathway that leads…to their exact location. I don’t believe they have gotten so far yet…. since the…strangers won’t be there until midnight.” She rushes her last words, and gets up quickly yet painfully. Knowing her stubborn mind, I help my mother walk. Every once in a while she falls down, my strength failing me. But we still continue on.

“Take care of your mother, son.” I hear my father’s last words ring inside my head.

I look up, and I hide the flowing tears that have betrayed me.  Slowly, ever so slowly we walk, and I try not to think about the immense pain shooting from my bruised arm. I look up and see the trees, counting each one in my head. Slowly we progress, and my mother’s breaths slow down. I look up and see the sunset kissing the stars gently, filling me with new emotions.  My mother clutches at my shirt, and I keep walking. I look up and hear the birds chattering away, disappearing into the coming night. I bite my tongue to keep myself from screaming as pain warns me of my arm. I look up, and I see without a doubt a few figures about a mile away.

Fear has long left me by now, courage taking my whole self.  My mother’s hand loosens up. A gust of wind caresses my skin, and I’m reborn. All of a sudden, my mother feels as light as a feather, my vision clearing up until I’m able to see them perfectly. The pain in my arm disappears, and I’m no longer the same person.  I look at my skin, and see that I am now light, a light so bright it warms my heart whole. My small footsteps gradually become a man’s footsteps, and my determination soars like sky.  I raise my chin to the air, and my eyes shine as brightly as the stars.

“Hey! It’s Mary and her kid! “I hear them not too far now, and they reach us in less than a minute. One man takes hold of my mother, just happening to be our village’s only doctor. He examines her briefly, pausing for a moment, before taking her away with his assistant's help. Everyone’s surrounding me, speaking at the same time, and suddenly I fall to my knees in relief. I made it. I think about my father, smiling softly.

“You did good, kid.” My uncle says, coming up and laying his hand on my shoulder. I look up at him, and he seems shocked for a moment, mumbling something I can’t hear. I stand slowly back up. Everyone quiets down. My uncle snatches his hand back. He blinks in recognition, and then looks at me with curiosity, grinning widely.

“Someone get’m some food! “My finally uncle yells, breaking them from their chain of thoughts. They all return to their small huts, the noise returning to the air.  My uncle smiles at me, a sense of understanding forming between us. I feel so strange now that I’m here, even though only a few hours have passed. From the corner of my eye I catch the gaze of a stranger…

We left a few hours later with the Native men, leaving just in time. The colonists had returned after that day, finding the place completely barren.The weather had gotten rid of any remaining signs of our being there, leaving only empty space. Once in a while I do feel somewhat melancholy at our departure, though I find that there’s never regret there. My mother's words were true.