Avengers: "Age of Ultron" | Teen Ink

Avengers: "Age of Ultron"

By Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other
Spoodermanderp PLATINUM, Quezon City, Other

Avengers A--
"Avengers: Age of Ultron" is a great mix of dark and fun at the same time, but does this film deliver after the whole Phase 2 build up? Does it surpass the original and live up to all our expectations? Sadly, we didn't get much of that
Before I start, I'd like to mention how hype does affect how a movie is viewed. AoU is clearly an extremely hyped film and must audiences expect it to even surpass the original. If the film does not deliver as expected then the film would considerably be underwhelming. In my own case I viewed the film to be exactly like that, I realized how my hype and expectations practically ruined most of the film for me as it didn't deliver as much. A second viewing might possibly do justice but it still left a mixed taste.

The Avengers are back and they now live and work together at the Avengers Tower. Right off the bat the opening shots of the Avengers fighting their way into Sokovia was brilliant and had a comic book feel to it. The whole movie had a huge comic book feel and spectacular visuals to accompany it. The movie also has a rather fast pacing and some things felt a little bit too rushed like Ultron suddenly becoming this strange and menacing villain within a few minutes. Speaking of Ultron, James Spader did a wonderful performance and Ultron and he strikes intimidation and personality that sets him different from other Marvel villains. My only issue with him as the villain is how he felt quite underdeveloped and kind of felt like his plot was just another generic villain plan, global destruction, their extinction, etc. The Avengers as individuals were developed really well in this film and characters like Hawkeye was more likable and notable in this film. Newcomers like Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Vision were excellent as well in their own parts. I particularly liked how the each Avengers were given a moment for themselves and how they all just break loose and see how they eventually team up again. I also liked how the Avengers would focus more on saving people rather than just causing massive destruction and not care about the people who are going to be affected by it (we're looking at you Man of Steel). There were some great backstory thrown in the movie that intrigues us more towards some characters, well done cinematography and different music themes that accompany an Avenger individually. It is also notable how we are introduced to many things that will turn out to be crucial in future films, like a glimpse of Civil War or maybe a glimpse of the upcoming Infinity War.

As for the flaws. Some action scenes felt really dense at times especially the action sequence with the Ultron army. Sure I give credit to the rest of the action sequences which were intense and exciting excluding the final battle with the Ultron army. It really felt dense how these other Ultron robots felt really and I mean really vulnerable and you don't feel threatened when they come to our heroes because they easily beat them down much like the Chitauri army in the first film. There were also some holes that should've been covered in this film especially with what happened in previous phase 2 films. Like what happened with Cap and Falcon on their quest to find Bucky? Instead we see them chilling at the Avengers tower and it's not even mentioned. There was also a lot of Deus Ex Machinas in this films and one that particularly irritated me the most near the end. There's also a surprising relationship that sparks between two unlikely Avengers especially previous films at least hadn't suggested it at the most part.

As stated, the pace of this film became quite a problem for me, you think the movie has just gotten in to 30 minutes and then you check your watch to see that the film has already gone a full hour and it really feels underwhelming.

Overall, an enjoyable popcorn flick movie to watch with your friends, it may feel underwhelming and contains several flaws but don't let the hype ruin the view of this film for you.

If you will, a second viewing might simply do justice to it.
+Comic Book Feel to it,
+Ultron intimidating,
+Development for our heroes, +Backstory,
+Excellent and well handled newcomers,
+Saving people,
+Visuals,
+Some great action sequences
- Some dense action sequences
-Fast pacing kind of ruins it,
-Ultron feels quite underdeveloped,
-Un suggested romance comes out of the blue,
-Holes,
-Deus Ex Machinas,