Being the Younger Sibling | Teen Ink

Being the Younger Sibling

By Emily210 GOLD, Dimmitt, Texas
Emily210 GOLD, Dimmitt, Texas

It came to pass. (It didn't come to stay.)

Being the younger sibling is not easy. Sometimes who your older sibling is defines who you are in other peoples eyes, even if you are completley different. 

I am the second oldest child out of four children. My oldest sister is completley different from me. She has none of the problems that I do. She is out going, confident, and a great speaker. 

My sister and I are the same in many ways, but very different in others. All throughout my life, I had trouble trying to measure up to her, trying to meet people's expectations that they had of me, because of who my older sister is. It was a very hard chapter in my life, because I always disappointed myself and others when I didn't measure up to my sister. 

I struggled with trying to be my sister, but I failed to see that I am my own person, that I am not going to achieve or like the same things that my sister does. I realized that I don't need to measure up to my sister, that people were just going to have to realize that I am not my sister.