My Nephew | Teen Ink

My Nephew

By dzavala BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
dzavala BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

“You’re going to be an aunt!” stunned me into silence.
My brother and his wife were expecting their first child together, and I was only twelve. The second Lilly, my brother’s wife, proclaimed the news my thoughts ran rampant with possible baby names. My heart raced with joy; I asked her if I could hug her, and she nodded her head. I had some serious training to do to become the best aunt possible. I needed to decide if I wanted to be the cool aunt, the protective aunt, or the aunt that spoils everyone. I was amazed that I had the opportunity to be a young aunt. My family was growing, and we could finally welcome a little Jones into the world.
As my sister-in-law’s belly grew, I told her as many names as I could think of, and Isaac was one of them. I remember her taking a moment to consider the name, and she slowly nodded her head contemplating the name. I had an inkling the baby was going to be a boy, and when my suspicion was confirmed, I knew my nephew would be perfect.
Two months before Lilly’s due date, her best friend hosted the baby shower. I could not attend the baby shower because I had a soccer tournament, but my mom said the event was enjoyable, and she brought me a party favor that contained a blue cookie.
The nine months felt like a few weeks, and I was thrilled for the baby to arrive.
I was in my room doing my homework when my mom swung the door open. She told my sister and I that Lilly went to the hospital, and the baby would arrive soon. I jumped up and grabbed my iPod; I needed entertainment while I sat in the waiting area. My dad, mom, sister, and I piled into the car and headed for East Jefferson General Hospital. The car ride seemed to last a lifetime. With every second, I was closer to seeing my nephew outside of the black and white ultrasound pictures.
When we arrived at the hospital, my family and I met with my brother, George, who walked us to the allotted room. The smell of hospital antiseptic permeated the air as we trekked our way to the fifth floor. Finally, we arrived to the appropriate room, and we saw Lilly. She lay on her back; her big belly protruded from under the hospital sheets, and I spotted the multiple wires she was attached to. The room had enough space for her family and my family to fit. The excited hellos, inquiries, and rhythmic machine beeping filled the room. Lilly groaned and clutched the bed rails because her contractions were close together. I never experienced such a scene before.
The delivery nurse ambled in shortly after my family arrived, and we went into the hall to wait for a few minutes. We then returned to the room only to be asked to leave a brief moment later; Lilly was close to giving birth. My dad, mom, sister, and I shuffled to the waiting room to await the good news. Suddenly, my brother came out, and I hopped up and down assuming that my nephew was born; however, George simply stated he was hungry and asked my dad to go buy him food. My dad left, and my sister, mom, and I sat together patiently. I silently played on my iPod as my sister fidgeted and looked over my shoulder. I went to my “Notes” application and started typing in my experience.
My first entry consisted of “OMG, I am going to be an aunt!!! I can’t believe it; I am just 12 years old. I will be the youngest aunt around… well except for Kristen.”
Kristen, my eight year old sister, started to type something when George walked into the room and announced that Isaac Christian was born. Multiple shouts of joy and hugs filled the waiting area. Kristen, and I enveloped each other in an ecstatic embrace; we typed in the “Notes” application once again. “MY NEPHEW IS BORN!!!! His name is Isaac Christian!!! The date is February 2nd, 2010; the time is 8:02 pm. Two is going to be his lucky number!!!” 
My mom chattered on the phone letting my dad know that Isaac was born. After a few more minutes, my dad strode into the waiting area carrying a greasy bag of fast food for my brother. He was elated that he could be called “Papa.” As a family, we pranced to the room to see the newest Jones member. 
Isaac was the smallest and cutest little thing I had ever seen. His eyes were wide open as if ready to experience the world instantly; George said his eyes were open when he came out. George wore a black beanie with a fleur de lis in the center. Isaac drew the families’ attention. In those moments, my family meant more than the world to me. With tears blurring our vision and smiles swallowing our faces, we oohed and aahed over the newborn. Lilly closed her eyes in exhaustion, but a bright smile consumed her face. My brother adoringly gazed at his son and walked around the room presenting Isaac. I plopped down on the chair ready to hold Isaac, but my mom complained I was too young; clearly, she did not trust me with the baby yet, but I still felt on top of the world. The years to come would be filled with laughter, tantrums, babysitting, hide and go seek, tears, and joy. In the first precious moments with Isaac, I deemed myself too indecisive to be just one type of aunt; thus, I decided to be a combination of the types. No words could describe my happiness.