Gay's the New Black | Teen Ink

Gay's the New Black

By Ambiedawn BRONZE, Finger, Tennessee
Ambiedawn BRONZE, Finger, Tennessee

"Those who break the rules are scum, Those who abandon there friends, are worse then scum"

There was a time a black man could not pass a white woman on the street, he could not sit next to a white man at a bar, or even order a drink from that bar without persecution. It wasn't because of the Christians, the goverment, the broken system, or even because they were slaves. It was because they were differnt. They rose up against a power with one voice and even when they won, they lost. We looked at them, and we did not see ourselves, we saw something of less value, something wrong. And now, even so many years later, even when we have seen the pain and the strubble or men, we still deny our own citizens their god given rights.

Perhaps this is bold, but gay discrimination, despite religion, is still discrimination. Saying this, we must keep religions in mind. People are offended, because by being gay, you have challanged them. To Quote Leviticus 18:22 "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it [is] abomination." This being said, I would like to propose another theory, the theory of evolution. God will change with the world, he will not damn soul for there love, because he knows that love, he knows it's purity and a union in his eyes will not be a document of paper, but a comitment of love and faithfulness to one person till the day you die. Now, no one will accept this because it is not what is written, but when did the bible stop. The bible was not meant to be a set in stone verse, it is a collection, of stories and of feelings and of the struggles of humanity and yet our struggles go on but the lessons and verses stop. The reason same-sex is wrong in a religous stand point is because no one ever said it was right. 

Now, another stand point, the goverment. Now gays are not discriminated in the sense of voting rights, or politics. However, people can not give up a small section of their beliefs for another persons happiness. We are told to do on to others as we would want them to do onto us, but we let these committed couples stand in their churches, and we deny them, we turn them away and let silly people with no real intent to commit say empty vows. But why? Surely they can refuse to attend the weddings, socialize, even refuse services to a point, but no, instead we refuse them rights. 

Consider each other, but do not hate, do not discriminate, do one to others as you want them to do onto you. To refuse a human rights you take advantage of, is to refuse faith, and to refuse happiness to another person, as we once refused a poor black man a vote in his own country.