Project Icarus: what lies beyond | Teen Ink

Project Icarus: what lies beyond

By grantgrayson BRONZE, New Port Richey, Florida
grantgrayson BRONZE, New Port Richey, Florida

The world isn’t in very good shape.  After the dispute over land between America and Germany, a mysterious country decided to launch a nuke in the middle of Washington DC.  After the HAZMAT team arrived, it was discovered to be a stealth nuke sent by Russia.   After some of the smoke settled, the President’s body was discovered in a coffee shop and this didn’t brighten the mood.

After the President’s national funeral, Americans decided to fight back.  Air strikes would be launched at Moscow, the Navy would invade the northern coast of Russia, and the Marines would aid the Navy.  The plan was dangerous and an act of war.  But, the war had already started.
During the process of constructing the necessary equipment, there was a question in everyone’s mind:  Did this mean World War 3?  Russia, at that moment, had many alliances with neighboring countries and continents.
Once the US counter-attack was launched, something mysterious was discovered.  On the northern coast of Russia, a strange tower was on the edge of a nearby cliff face.  It looked ancient, and yet, incomprehensibly advanced.  The attack was halted and a team of five soldiers and chemical units were sent to investigate.  After two hours, the team was spotted with an array of data, and trinkets.
After the counter-attack succeeded, the data turned out to be blueprints detailing a process on how to build “Project Icarus.”  It was a massive ship capable of traveling many light years into an unknown region of deep space.  The major flaw was it couldn’t hold many people.  The US assumed it was a fallback plan if a global catastrophe were to occur.  Its origins were a complete mystery.
Once legal issues with the Judicial Branch were dealt with, the Vice-President gave the all-clear on the construction of “Project Icarus.”  After 6 years of hard work, the construction was complete.
Once the ship was unveiled to the public, it was divided between who liked it and who didn’t.  Half thought it was a conspiracy with the US and the Illuminati working together because of the blueprint’s origin.  The other half, however, was sure it was for the good of all humanity.  This disagreement tore America’s society in half, leading to religious fanatics and humanitarian outbursts.
The pilots of “Project Icarus” would be code-named DAEDALUS.  It was fitting with the ship name and the mythology.  The team would have to be experts, or masters, in their professions to ensure mission success.  The first two people to put into place would be the leaders who would man the control center on Earth.
The leader would be Chad Irons; 39 years of age, American, white, unmarried and male.  The assistant would be Ricardo Giovanni; 43 years of age, Italian, white, unmarried and male.  Ricardo had previous ties to the religious fanatics, but had come to the side of the humanitarians and believed in the mission.  The mission planners thought this would be helpful in keeping peace.  Both were brilliant scientists and designers.
The next candidates would take time to find, as most of the world was in constant unrest.  All these riots caused a major downfall as the soldiers in our military and militias were wounded or dead – or at least most of them.  This meant the loss of the war with Russia was inevitable. 
After some months of searching, the pilots were chosen.  Jackson Gutierrez; 53 years of age, British citizen born in Mexico, black, married and male.  Ramona Daisey; 31 years of age, American, white, unmarried and female.  And, Rebecca Chang; 29 years of age, Chinese, Asian, unmarried and female.  These candidates were selected and accepted to be the crew of Icarus 1.  The crew was warned of the fact that they may never have any form of contact with Earth or the human race again.
The crew went through intense psychological and physical training.  The massive ship was fueled and the team was suited up.  The final countdown began as Jackson saw something incredible and heart-warming, yet heart-breaking.  His wife went to the doctor and found out she was pregnant.  He stared deeply into her eyes through the monitor, hoping she could feel his gaze upon her.
The mechanical voice droned, “10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1.  Engage.”
The ship’s rockets exploded in a figurative fireball, with exhaust and smoke trailing off.  Once it lifted off, Jackson felt a teardrop roll down his cheek and murmured, “goodbye my child.”  He whispered it as the rocket became silent in the boundless void of space.
Ramona held an effigy of herself as the rocket sailed past the moon.  “I never said that I love you.  I never thanked you for all the things you did for me.  Goodbye, Mom and Dad.”
Chad and Ricardo, on the ground, both stared at the rocket’s camera as they saw it slowly lose reception. But, as their video faded, they both noticed something wrong.  One of the rockets did not fire properly.
Chad, like a flash, said “Ricardo, quickly!  Warn them and tell them to repair it before we lose the signal and the ship!”  It was then Chad hit the ground from a blow to the back of the head.
As Ricardo sprinted to the button, he felt white hot heat in his shoulder and it took a moment to realize he was shot.  “AHHHH!” Ricardo screamed.
The religious cult had showed up to make sure the mission failed, as they believed humanity should live and die on Earth and Earth only.  Their leader, Pastor Alexis, walked to the control room and up to Ricardo as he was scrambling for the medical supplies.
“Well, well, well.  If it isn’t my old friend Ric,” she drawled.  She kicked him on his back and placed her boot on his shoulder, where there was still a 9mm bullet residing.
“I have nothing to say to you, tyrant,” said Ricardo.
She pushed harder and he winced.  “I believe the opposite,” said Alexis.  At that moment, Icarus 1 called for a final check on the engines.
Alexis grappled his coat collar and put the gun to his head.  “Tell them everything is fine, or you and Chad over there won’t live to see the rocket leave our space.” 
Just as he heard his name, Chad awakened.  He noticed the leader behind him and silently crawled to the nearest weapon, using the smoke as cover.  “Put the weapon down,” Chad yelled, “I may not have used a gun before, but I sure think I can hit you this close!”
“You think killing me with end your troubles?  If you think that, you’re crazier than a man on drugs!” she screamed.
Alexis turned to the side, with Chad’s head in her cross-hairs.  As she pressed the trigger, she felt a sharp sting in her side.  When she looked down, there was a piece of glass with Ricardo’s hand gripping it.
“You were crazy enough to break in here, now you leave yourself exposed? Weak!” Ricardo whispered.  As he pulled out the shard of glass and tore flesh with it, Ricardo saw her crazy smile.
“Don’t you think that any of this is over,” she whispered.  “I’m just getting started!”
Chad walked over to her dying husk of a body.  “I don’t think so” he grumbled.  He pointed the gun to her forehead, “I won’t do it.”
“Why not?” came the desperate whisper from Ricardo.
“Because that would make us no better than her!”  Chad walked to the transmitter with the gun still pointed at her.  “Team, one of your engines didn’t fire properly.  Get ready for EVA and wait for instructions.”
“Copy that. What happened down there?” asked Jackson.
“Irrelevant,” Chad said flatly.
After 5 minutes of waiting to get everyone’s nerves back in order, Ramona had gotten her EVA suit on and was waiting for instructions.  “Hey guys, slow down the ship – I don’t want to fly away instantly!”
Once the engines died down and they were on inertia only, Ramona radioed Chad for instructions on repairs.  “Ok, how do I do this?” she said with a broken voice.
“You need to remove the side panel and run the diagnostic program downloaded to your suit’s HUD,” remarked Chad calmly.
“Okay, easier said than done” she said shakily.
“Hurry, we only have a few more minutes before we lose contact!” urged Chad.
“Alright, got it!” Ramona happily exclaimed.  “What’s next?”
“Examine the diagnostic and determine the problem.  The program will guide you through a virtual reality of how to fix the engine.”
“Thank you, Chad.”
“Don’t mention it Ramona.  Now, go find humanity another home!  Good lu ---“
With the radio out of range, Ramona ran the program and fixed the engine.  She returned to the cockpit and asked, “everybody ok?”  Everyone simultaneously, but solemnly, said “yes.”
Back on Earth, Chad and Ricardo quarantined the incident site and waited for riot control units to suppress the crowds of religious fanatics.  After two hours, the crowds had either left or been arrested.
All that remained was to wait for Icarus 1 to arrive at humanity’s new home.  The hope of the human race will live on with a new hope, a new home, and a new beginning.