Stereotypes | Teen Ink

Stereotypes

By Joshua Nieves BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas
Joshua Nieves BRONZE, Junction City, Kansas

Hey my name is Hector. There are many things I question in this world like why does evilness exist and even the color of the moon, like, really why is the moon white and not yellow? I myself have a pretty good life. I have parents that love me. Recently, we moved from Colorado to Los Angeles. My father is in the military so I’m used to moving from place to place, one year we moved 4 different times. My mom is a housewife. Oh did I tell you I’m good with my hands like really good when it comes to basketball, but as I was saying my mom is a housewife. So far everything is going well in Los Angeles well kind of I’m still adjusting to this California weather, damn it’s freaking hot.        

On the first day I arrived to town I met Dominque, a pretty cool dude. We hang out all day from the moment I met him there was something different. That summer was great but summer was over and now school is starting.
Class was starting, the same routine practically every class was expected. Take your seat, roll call, then the teacher Mr. Felt would teach like he was supposed to do. He would drag on the simplest lesson into a lecture like it was important. When one of us had a question we would have to look up to him to make eye contact for he was as a tall as a giraffe. Mr.Felt was a nice person he would smile and wave to everyone, but not to this one particular student. There was this one student he always ignored, it was like he never existed to him for some reason he would ignore him.  He would make this student wait in line for centuries when he had a question no matter how many students were ahead of him even when there was nobody in line he made this student wait. Mr. Felt treated this student like he was nothing.

His Name was Dominique.

We hanged out in the summer but things changed but I can say was a nice person, people would perceive him as a hoodlum at first glance, I don’t. He wore his pants baggy his clothes floated on him like blue jay wings. His hair nappy, he looked a little bit like Biggie Smalls. A miniature version though, but unlike Biggie he was very smart. I’d go to him when I couldn’t solve a problem, you see Dominique could solve any equation for he was like an Albert Einstein but Mr. Felt didn’t think that. When Dominque needed help he raised his hand and the teacher would ignore him. When Dominique went up to him and asked him a question he would ignore him and walk away. It was like Mr. Felt ignored Dominque and pretended he was not even in class. I have never seen him once acknowledge Dominque beside that one day.

It all began on the first day of the school. The moment Dominque walked in the room, the room was so silent you could hear a pin drop. Before Dominque arrived there was chatter and laughter. Hector claimed he could make a mountain out of a molehill, totally false. The room was filled with life but when Dominique arrived the room went dead silent. Dominique arrived in class wearing baggy pants, a South Pole shirt, and a pick in his hair. The class was silent everybody held their breath until somebody broke the ice. Dominque stood there not knowing what to do so he asked for a seat. Mr.Felt just stood there staring him down till he said “you are in the wrong class” Dominque replied “No sir I’m in math” with a positive attitude. From that the day forth Mr. Felt categorized him based on his appearance.

Ever since that day
But why judge? I have learned not to judge people based on their appearance. He could have been a street banger if he chose to but he wasn’t.
Anyways.
I reported it to the office but they did nothing.
His name was Dominque and his existence was nothing to teachers.
Teachers would still take one glance at him and ignore his needs.
Dominique is a smart kid.

I feel like nowadays there are many sterotypes being used not just in school but everywhere.