The Right to Marry | Teen Ink

The Right to Marry

By Kaitlyn.wood05 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Kaitlyn.wood05 SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

I believe gay marriage should be legal because without allowing it, not everyone is really ‘equal’. We’re a nation of freedom and equality yet we still aren’t equal. The law says that we have the freedom to marry who we want but then a man can’t marry another man and a woman can’t marry another woman? Now thats messed up! According to ncsl ‘The court will decide

whether it is constitutional for states to prohibit same-sex marriage and whether states may refuse to recognize same-sex marriages lawfully performed out of state.’ Meaning they will decide whether it’s right or not for the state governments to not allow it or deny their marriage license if they marry in another state. We can do it for Heterosexual couples so why not Homosexual couples. On freedomtomarry  it says ‘As of February 9th, 2015, 37 states plus Washington D.C. give same-sex couples the freedom to marry.’

Now instead of listing every good side to gay marriage I have to tell you about the down side. Many people on gaymarriage.procon say that gay marriage shouldn’t be allowed because marriage is for procreation. And if two people of the same gender marry, how are they going to reproduce? Well what about all the many women who can’t because they have a medical issue. Besides people are complaining that the world is already over populated, so let some people take a break. They can always adopt, familyhomelessness said over 1.6 million children experience homelessness every year just in America alone! Someone needs to give these children a home, and a homosexual couple is just as capable as any heterosexual couple.

In an article on religioustolerance everyone for same sex marriage is saying that we, the people, are taking away their dignity and respect. As I said denying them their want to marry is unfair and unjust in a democracy. Denying one group the right to marry has many adverse  emotional and financial consequences. But many religiously conservative researches have found that children thrive best when reared in a home with a married mother and father. Boys and girls have needs that are uniquely met by parents of the opposite gender. They say that if they allow same-sex marriage then they will have to teach about it along with opposite sex marriage, and that it may be against some parents religions. I thought to myself ‘why do they have to go into detail about they could just simply say, heterosexual and homosexual marriage is both ok, and be done?’

Now on the religious side of things, they shouldn’t have to go into detail about it. According to religioustolerance to most people marriage is a religious sacrament. Many people are scared that they may have to marry same-sex couples in their place of worship. People who work for wedding companies such as, cake bakers and photographers who are against it may be forced against law to work with these people, and if they don’t they may be fined or sentenced to a few years in jail.

Same-sex marriage should be legal because we are talking away these people’s rights, pride, and dignity. There are ups and downs with this situation but if we really want to be ‘equal’ we need to stop denying people’s rights.

on May. 25 2015 at 7:37 pm
Abby McCarthy BRONZE, Wayland, Massachusetts
yupp :) good thing we're on our way