God, I Love Her. | Teen Ink

God, I Love Her.

God, I love her.
I walked into the kitchen of our new home and glanced towards Caroline looking out the window. She looked so peaceful in thought. I could only imagine what she was thinking. Crazy that woman is.
“Bobby, where is this going?” Caroline, my lover of many years, asked turning towards me.
Her faced scrunched up in a way that only I would find adorable and her hair was frizzing out, all thanks to the humid air coming from the open window.
Caroline and I met in college, five years ago to the date. I fell in love the moment I met her in the cafeteria one November Sunday. She looked so cute in her work uniform; I couldn’t believe my luck when she sat down at my table. From that day forward we were smitten. We’ve been through so much together; it’s a miracle that she’s loved me for this long.
As for her question, I decided to play dumb with her; I knew exactly what she wanted and I knew if I played dumb it would rile her up.
“Where is what going? The earth is going in circles. The garbage truck is going to a faraway dump. The truck that just passed is going into town. The birds are going south for the winter.” I sipped my coffee watching her sit down across from me.
“You smartass I meant this, us, where are we going?” Caroline locked eyes with me.
“Frankly my dear…” I smirked at her. “We’re going to the store later on this weekend, I believe. We’re going grocery shopping for next week’s groceries. We need food darling dearest.”
She sat there contemplating a reply as I stood looking at one of my favorite pictures of us upon our fridge. The picture was us back when we graduated college together. I remember that day particularly well. Younger Caroline with that goofy smile upon her face that I love oh so much and me beside her with my arm around her smiling just as goofily right back at the camera. Caroline and I had just received our diploma’s and I gave her something I knew she wanted so very much. I presented her with a promise ring.  However, I knew the promise ring wouldn’t keep her happy for long. She wanted marriage and marriage required a fancy engagement ring. I couldn’t afford that fancy ring or a big fancy wedding like I knew she had wanted.
I thought of the events of the past couple nights. I had been hinting towards marriage however never quite taking her to a jewelry shop or blandly asking the question. I glanced once more at the picture and thought she looked so happy and carefree then; and I glanced up at her and now she looked mildly pissed and quite a bit feisty.
God, I love her.
“Bobby!!” shouted Caroline.
“Caroline!!” I shouted back still smirking.
“Where are we as a couple, going?” the vein in her forehead bulged slightly.
“I’m not sure; we could go as a couple to my parent’s house for dinner? Or we could go to the show on a date as a couple?” I sipped more coffee. I know perfectly what she meant.
“Ugh, you’re impossible,” she uttered getting up from the table for some brownies. She sounded as though she was getting stressed…
“If I wasn’t impossible you wouldn’t love me now would you?” I chuckled nervously; she looked as though she could have stabbed me if I said too much more. I smiled at her, as if I didn’t know what she wanted.
I can’t believe she’s going along with me on this. I am quite honestly shocked she hasn’t stomped off yet.
“Bobby James! What are we doing in life?!” she passed the brownies to me.
I smiled taking in a big whiff of the delicious fudge brownies she made for us last night. She loved to cook for me and I loved that about her; she could make the best damn meal and still be worried it wasn’t good enough.
“Well, last I knew, you were a Marine Biologist, and I an Electrical Engineer. Baby, why must we worry about the future?” I joked with her, knowing full well that the answer would anger her even more.
“Because that’s all we ever used to do in college, Bobby; remember you promised me all sorts of things about the future with this ring!” She practically shoved the promise ring on her left hand in my face. I glanced at it before shoving the rest of the brownie into my mouth.
I can just picture what all she wants now, children, marriage, and retirement. I heard the chime of wedding bells playing from afar outside the kitchen window.
“God, Bobby, it’s like God’s sending us a message!” she whined.
“What, that it’s Saturday?” I still chuckled.
“Really, Bobby, five long years together for you to still act like a smartass? I thought you had grown up. We’re almost twenty-five. Can we act our age?” Caroline frowned.
“But I’m your smartass. And I am grown up; I’m a big kid now!” I smiled to her half singing the last part causing her to smile and giggle. “You laughed, I’m off the hook! And I am almost twenty-five thank you very much.”
“Not so fast! And I think you’re more like three!” She cried trying to get away from me to calm down from her giggle fits; God I love those giggle fits.
“I love when you giggle,” I said attempting to tickle her but she was too fast for me.
“You might love them but I don’t. Why are you such a pain in my ass?” Caroline called from across the room.
“Because that’s what love is my beautiful Caroline. Love is being a pain in the ass and being childish together.” I smiled to her, knowing she’d blush at that answer.
“Ughh, I hate when you’re right.” Caroline whispered before leaving to the bathroom.
“You know you love me!!” I called after her.
Five long years together, and I can still make her blush at the same things that made her blush in college. I’m so glad that she’s my forever. I wish she’d be patient. I want to tell her so bad about my plans for this evening but it’s a surprise.
“Bobby, when are we going to become official?” Caroline asked as she walked back into the kitchen grabbing her cell phone.
“I thought we were official? We’ve been dating like you said for five loooooong years.”
“But when are we going to walk down the aisle?” Caroline continued being impatient as she ever is.
This woman can never keep a secret. That is another thing I love about her. I love how every birthday and Christmas she buys my gifts early and in anticipation of my reactions, she gives them to me as soon as they come in the mail. I love how every year like clockwork around her birthday and Christmas she is badgering me to know what she’s getting.
I also remember one time during our first year together, I wanted to surprise her with a trip to a local go-kart track. I had asked our friends to join us, along with keeping the secret from her. I had kept it all the way until the day of our trip; she just had to get it out of me. Now I keep everything a secret so she can cherish all the little things I do for her. 
“We can walk down the aisle when we go grocery shopping; we won’t even have to spend thousands and thousands of dollars, just about ten for the gas there and back.”
“Are you for real Bobby? I am going to call my mother unless you tell me right now when you are going to propose!” She pulled out her phone as a way to fend me off and I frowned.
“Yeah, are we going there for dinner because I’m not telling you no matter what you threaten.”
“No, I’m going to stay with them for a while; till you figure this out!” she said just as her mother answered the phone.
It would kill me if she left tonight. I had a special evening all planned out for us tonight.
She was frowning; I hope that’s a good sign. I hadn’t quite explained to her parents my plans for tonight yet. Yeah I asked her father for his blessing of our hand in marriage. And of course her father had said yes, but the only person I had as an accomplice to my plans tonight was her sister Morgan.
Caroline sighed and frowned as she said good bye to her mother.
“So?” I questioned attempting to hide my nervousness.
“Mom said no. She said that Dad and her were going to visit Morgan and Thomas tonight for dinner.”
Really, I thought to myself again that they didn’t even know of the plans yet. Things were truly falling into place quite perfectly. Now, I have to distract her from the phone call and convince her to go out to dinner.
“Soo, what shall we have for dinner?” I asked her, ignoring what she had just said. I thought about how tonight was going to be the most romantic day of our lives together besides our wedding.
“Dinner Bobby?! You want to think about dinner?! What about us? The future?” She looked so cute angry, her eyes glowed so beautifully and her nose scrunched up in a way that was so gosh darn adorable.
“Well, you know I love you dear. And I have loved you since the moment I met you. You know that, beautiful Caroline. I want forever together, and there’s nothing that will ever change that, so be patient my dear.” I hugged her, kissing the top of her head.
“That’s true, my handsome Bobby; I want forever together too. I can’t help but be impatient; that’s just who I am.”
  “How about we discuss your impatientness more in detail later on tonight my darling; I was thinking dinner at Russo’s, your favorite? Now go get ready for a spectacular dinner together, okay beautiful?”
“That sounds wonderful, handsome.” She smiled kissing me just before she turned she looked me in the eyes, “This isn’t going to turn out like my last birthday is it?”
I laughed remembering her last birthday. I had told her to take off the week but wouldn’t tell her where we were going. I had made reservations for us to travel to Hawaii and visit with my family out there and go snorkeling and all the things I know she had longed to do while we were in college but couldn’t afford. I remember her surprise when her parents drove us to the airport. I remember her surprise when we got to the airport and checked in for her to find out we were traveling to Hawaii. She had asked me on the flight how I had done it all and kept it secret from her. I told her, I enlisted her sister and parents and my parents into it. My parents booked the flight for us so she wouldn’t suspicious when the bill came. I had her sister pack her all the things for her. And as she found out tonight had conceived the idea of her parents taking us out to dinner for her birthday only for them to drop us off at the airport with our bags and everything. She spent the next five minutes crying happy tears into my shoulder and muttering a million thank you’s.
“You’ll just have to wait and see my darling.”
“You’re a tricky sneaky pain in my ass.” she kissed me on the cheek.
“Only for you, Caroline.” I kissed her.
“What would I do without you? I’m going to get ready now.” As she left the room smiling to me.
“I have reservations tonight at six thirty!” I called after her.
I heard her reply with a “yes dear”.
Little does Caroline know that I am actually proposing tonight followed with dinner at one of her favorite restaurants with all of our friends and family.
I glanced at the clock and it was a little after three. Only three hours to go until our reservations at Russo’s. I heard the shower start above me and I thought to myself, man I am the luckiest man alive, and thank God she didn’t leave to go to her parents.
Tonight she will be the luckiest woman alive, and we will finally be engaged like I know she’s been dreaming about since our senior year. I cannot wait to make her cry tonight by pulling out the ring that just so happens to be sitting in my pants pocket.
Only three more hours to that special question. I cannot wait.
God I love her.
***
“Bobby, I feel like I look silly.” I glanced up at her and was astounded.
“Don’t worry my darling you look beautiful as ever.” I smiled kissing her hand as she blushed.
“You really think so?” She still blushed.
“Of course my darling, I would never lie to you. Are you ready, it’s almost six thirty?” I glanced at the clock.
“Yes, yes I am.”
“Good and we’re off.” I led her out the door to the car.
“Adventure is out there, right?” She laughed.
“It’s been forever since I’ve heard you say that.” I laughed with her.
God I remember her saying that all throughout college. Every time we went somewhere and left the apartment she’d jump out the door with her thumb up in the air screaming “Adventure is out there.” Her and her Disney, I shook my head at the memory.
“Santiago is turning six in a couple of weeks.” Caroline tapped at her phone.
“We should send a gift, maybe a Nerf gun?”  I laughed as she tried to show me a picture of him.
“Aura, would kill us and plus he’d use it against Isabel.” Caroline rolled her eyes.
“We’ll just tell her boys will be boys. I mean look at Eddie’s boys, they all tease Sarah.” I laughed remembering Christmas dinner at my brother’s house.
“Yeah, and what would Lauren do to you if you got each one of them a Nerf gun?”
“She’d kill me.” I laughed even harder. “That’s why I let them keep it at our house.”
“I know, this isn’t the way to Russo’s, is it?” Caroline gazed out the window.
“It’s a new shortcut I found a few days ago.” I glanced at the passing signs.
“Now, Bobby this is the way to Saginaw. Where are we going?”
“Russo’s opened a new restaurant in Saginaw and plus I wanted to get some frozen yogurt afterwards.” I stopped at the light.
“Are you sure? You tricky pain in my ass.” Caroline stuck her tongue out at me.
“Woman, I am the driver now don’t make me turn this vehicle around. Just sit there and take a nap or something pain in my ass.” I chuckled joking.
“Fine I will.” Caroline stuck her tongue out even more at me.
In a few seconds I heard her snoring, or at least I thought it was her snoring, I can never tell anymore. Nearly a half an hour later, I glanced at a passing sign, “Home of Saginaw Valley State University” I am so glad she wasn’t awake. I turned at the huge sign at the front of campus. We haven’t been back since our commencement, two years ago. I followed the ever curving road to what looked like a church. However, it is Founder’s Hall which hosts weddings and musical concerts here at SVSU. I looked over at her and proceeded to park the car as quietly as I could. She jolted but didn’t wake up. Thank God, I reached around for a blind fold. I put it on her as quietly without waking her up.
“Caroline, we’re here but you need to keep the blind fold on.” I kissed her cheek and tickled her a little.
“When did you blindfold me?” Caroline groggily giggled.
“Just a few minutes ago” I laughed “You were out cold, not getting a lot of sleep huh?”
“Not really, where are we? I thought we were going to Russo’s?” I led her to the little bridge in front of Founder’s Hall; I had her sister decorate it all pretty in Caroline’s favorite colors and flowers. I then proceeded with taking the blind fold off of her before kneeling down.
“Caroline, I have loved you since the first moment I met you. I have never wanted anyone else but you. I love you with all my heart. Will you make me the happiest man alive, and marry me?” I looked up into the darkest brown eyes I have ever seen and saw tears begin to rise.
“Yes, Bobby I will marry you.”  Caroline choked out before her tears took her over while jumping into my arms.
“Good, I was worried earlier.” I laughed.
“You had me worried you butt!!”
I looked at her and wiped away the tears looking into her eyes before kissing her.
God I love her.