The New York Mets Pitching Renaissance | Teen Ink

The New York Mets Pitching Renaissance

By Alec Masiello BRONZE, Commack, New York
Alec Masiello BRONZE, Commack, New York

The New York Mets have been a mediocre baseball team at best the past 8 years. However, they have developed a wealth of young pitching, with rising stars who have come up to the big leagues or will soon.  Anybody who knows the game of baseball knows you can’t win baseball games if you can’t stop the other team from scoring, which is the pitcher’s job.
The first of the New York Mets highly talented pitchers to come up was Matt Harvey in August, 2012. In his first start in Arizona on July 26th, 2012 he showed off his 97 mph fastball and filthy curveball. Harvey pitched 5 1/3 shutout innings to earn the win. The next year he started the MLB All-Star Game in Citifield which is the home of the New York Mets. The coming of Matt Harvey was only the beginning of the Mets renaissance of young pitchers in an attempt to make them a relevant playoff contender for the first time since 2006.
The next young phenomenon to debut was Zach Wheeler on June 18th, 2013. Coincidently it was the second game of a double header in which Matt Harvey pitched the first game and won. In the second game Zach Wheeler pitched six scoreless in a New York Mets win and showed the world his 95mph fastball. The next year, in 2014, it was Jacob deGrom, who was the least touted of all the young pitchers prior to being called up. In his debut on May 15th, 2014 against the Mets crosstown rivals, the New York Yankees, deGrom threw seven innings and gave up only one run. He would end up finishing 9-6 with a 2.39 ERA and go on to win the 2014 NL Rookie of the Year, surprising everyone. Then this year, on May12th, 2015 6 foot 6 inches Noah Syndergaard debuted his 97 mph fastball and his famously called “hook from hell” by Terry Collins.
However, the Mets young pitchers have had to overcome some adversity. Matt Harvey missed the entire 2014 season due to Tommy John surgery, but has come back strong in 2015. Zach Wheeler is currently missing the 2015 season due to Tommy John surgery as well. The Mets hope Zach Wheeler can return like Harvey did. The goal is for these amazing young pitchers to help make the New York Mets playoff contenders once again.