Ready Player One by Ernest Cline | Teen Ink

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

By Artistflytte PLATINUM, North Salt Lake, Utah
Artistflytte PLATINUM, North Salt Lake, Utah

"Always be yourself, unless you can be Batman, always be Batman."

-Andy Biersack

“Lights," I said softly. This had become my favorite word over the past week. In my mind, it had become synonymous with freedom.”  -Wade
“Ready Player One” by Ernest Cline is an exciting book, and most definitely a page turner. Some may find it almost impossible to put down. It doesn’t contain any old sci fi plot. There is much more to this book than that.
This book is about a eighteen year old boy named Wade Watts, also known by his gamer tag Parzival. In this thrilling book Wade plays a gaming server called the OASIS, but this isn’t any old gaming server. This is a server where your mental state is in the game along with everyone else playing. It is filled with almost every sci fi and fantasy world that has ever been created. The creator, James Halliday, passes away, but not without causing an uproar. He has hidden a mass fortune in the game, his entire inheritance and the rights to owning the OASIS. To get to this inheritance you have to find a series of keys, all with a riddle, leading to the next gate. Players race to find this fortune, and once Wade finds the first key and clears the first gate, he learns people are ready to kill for this.  Wade races against all players and a corporation that every player has nicknamed The Sixers.
Around every corner is a new surprise and a greater challenge. Ready Player One is a thrilling book any sci fi and fantasy loving person should read. You take a journey with Wade and watch him develop as a person. He goes from being the wimpy kid in the stacks, a trailer park where the trailers are stacked, to so insane he’s genius. By the end, Wade can’t be stopped, and neither can his friends. 
There are so many things to connect to when reading this book. There’s the challenges of love, bullying, even the frustration of being a teenager. Wade’s journey is of it’s own creation. It’s an ideal read I’d recommend to anyone.