My Cousin | Teen Ink

My Cousin

By Eddie S BRONZE, South San Francisco, California
Eddie S BRONZE, South San Francisco, California

In the year 2013 I was really close to one of my cousins named. She was always happy, loved food, and had really nice light brown eyes almost like gold. I was always with her and we were always having a good time.She was always at family parties and she would always talk to me and we would always be together. But then when she became a sophomore at that time she had family problems including her parents always arguing and putting pressure on her as well as having school related stress and getting bad grades and not being able to do anything about it. I was worried for her and knew she was acting strange. She began to spiral into depression and wouldn't let anyone help her because she believed people would mock her or not believe her so she tried to deal with it on her own. She was lost like a baby bird without its mother.She had none to guide her through this and I felt hopeless watching her .But one day at a family party she began crying telling me that she has too much pressure on her and that she “felt like people expect too much from me”. I would tell her “ Talk to your parents, maybe they can help you, but she was still scared as she said it “They won’t think much of it”. I would always visit her whenever I had the chance to try to cheer her up but it was to no avail. She later began to have body image issues. She believed she was fat and wouldn’t let herself eat as much. She kept telling herself “ Im fat, im ugly, im imperfect.” I remember that one time at dinner she wouldn’t order anything to eat.

Eventually her depression turned into anorexia and she wouldn’t eat and she began to look sickly thin. I was always thinking that her anorexia can become serious. She was always getting sick because of her immune system not functioning properly and I began getting worried. I remember going to her house once to see her weak and tired. My other cousin Gia , who was very close with her as well, then told her parents about this as I got very concerned. Her parents pulled her to the side and talked to her about this. I was nervous about what her parents were gonna think and I told myself "they probably wouldn't understand what she's going through."

She then began to text me that she began feeling better and that she feels like she can overcome this. Then people began to help her in school and her family issues began to recede and everything was looking great for her again. She began to eat again and after a couple of months she grew out of her depression she began to be happy once again and she left the house more. She became more active and happy as if she I haven’t seen her in a couple of years but I am still happy that she grew out of this and is now more happy with her life. I am proud that I had helped her.