Is Racism Real? | Teen Ink

Is Racism Real?

Are all of today’s main issues because of race? Okay follow up question have you ever heard of this quote “we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual” this is a quote from Martin Luther king jr. We’ve all heard of Martin Luther king jr. He wasn’t a bad person, neither was Abraham Lincoln and many others who were killed because of racism. Another question, but this one really think about. Are you really singled out for race?

Most of today’s issues are “A young black male” or something that involves another race, but that is usually just to make good tv. But is good tv good, or is it just ruining us as Americans? Sometimes there are bad people who do single out one race but that’s not everyone. If you get pulled over it’s not usually about what race you are. If you get arrested for resisting arrest is it because of your race, or what you did? Race shouldn’t decide your profiling, your not guilty just because of your race, you're not poor, or rich because of your race, it all depends on what you do with your life. Some people like to think that because of their race they’re singled out. But if you're in jail, they have to have evidence, so you can say its because of race, but they have proof or evidence you did something wrong.

People think that when you are pulled over, it is usually because of race. A lot of cars are stopped and searched, and studies shows that 2.65 whites are stopped and searched,  5.37 hispanics are stopped and searched, and 5.7 blacks are stopped and searched. Thats a big deal, mean why are hispanics and blacks pulled over and search, is it because of good reasons or racial reason? This we might be a problem but why aren’t we fixing it why aren’t people standing up for there country like past heros have?  

If something is racist and it is a police issue, the police authority don’t leave it alone. Have you heard of the Baltimore case? That case has had many things going around, like he was resisting arrest, of that the cops were bad and racist. They handled this very good and fired the police man and others who were involved, but that wasn’t good enough for Baltimore. Instead they took it as making a stand but not in a good way and punishing policeman who weren’t even involved. 15 policeman were injured in rioting because of a black male dieing. This is nothing to be proud of.

People now a days like to think that treatment from cops is worse if you get pulled over and you're hispanic or black. Men like Will Stack assume that they get pulled over for racial reasons. Also the Trayvon Martin case, is also believed to be a racial case. How that might be a factor the cops had good reasons, and if Trayvon Martin case was racist why we he found innocent? If he shot someone for racial reasons he would’ve went to jail, but he didn’t. Populations are growing, there are more whites, hispanics, blacks, mexicans, etc in the world so of course other races will fight, but it’s usually because of our actions not our color.

We need to stop and think about other races and how we’re all equal, and that we’re not different we are all human, just our DNA is different. Don’t judge another race if you wouldn’t say the same to your own.  Your issues in life don’t involve race or religion, it involves people and how we treat each other. Next time you see someone of another race, don’t diss them, or single them out, shake their hand and get to know them. Are all of today’s issues because of race? If you wouldn’t judge a book by its cover, why would you judge a human by their race?