Home About Menu Menu Subscribe

The Rabbit And The Snake: A Fable This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By Meghan F., Milton, MA

Once there was a young rabbit named Bagu. He was both lively and entertaining and spent his days frolicking in the meadows under the warm summer sun.

As the days began to cool and the nights grew chilly, Bagu noticed that he saw less and less of his friends. Then he remembered that he, too, would soon need to find a warm and cozy home where he could spend the long winter months. He poked and burrowed all day only to find that the other animals had already chosen the best places.

Not to worry, thought Bagu, Jake the Jackrabbit will make room for me.

But Jake's burrow was full, so Bagu quickly hopped away to try again.

Not to worry, thought Bagu, Miles Mouse will certainly have an extra room.

But the rooms in Miles' burrow were far too small for Bagu. Try as he might, he simply could not fit.

Continue Reading »

Join the discussion

3 comment(s)
Great story! I loved it, and the moral was one I think many can relate to.
Nov. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM • Report
Wow! This is a really well - written and well - plotted children's story. Is it original, or a retelling of a fairy tale? At one point I thought you had too many adjectives..."Bagu's tawny fur glistened with icy crystals..." but the problem never came up again. It starts off very sweet, but turns actually frightening! I admit, the ending kind of creeped me out (in a good way.) Great!
Feb. 06, 2013 at 8:27 PM • Report
Well done! At first seemingly innocent, this story is surprisingly frightening.
Dec. 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM • Report