Mrs. Foxwell | Teen Ink

Mrs. Foxwell

By Russell.S BRONZE, Newark, Delaware
Russell.S BRONZE, Newark, Delaware

Goosey. My middle school business teacher would always call us that whenever we did something silly or funny, which would make the situation even funnier than it already was. I had Mrs. Foxwell for sixth, seventh, and eighth grade. I had her for the second half of the year, but I did not have any idea what to expect from her class. Every one said something different about her class; some people said she was funny, some people said it was a lot of work, and some people said she was a nice teacher. After I had her class, I thought she was the best teacher in the world.

Sixth grade was when I first year that I had her class. In 6th grade, we mostly just learned about things we can do with a computer. We learned about power point, excel, and a bunch of other programs. Mrs. Foxwell also taught us about keyboarding. We had a contest about once a week, and we would keep track of how fast we would type, and with how few errors we had without ever looking at the keyboard. It was always so much fun to compete with each other, and she always made us laugh. After we learned about keyboarding, it was useful to us whenever we had to type anything on the computer, even this essay.

In seventh grade, we had started learning a lot about the business world. Early on in the year, we started a project for her class. We had to create our own company from the bottom up. It took us the entire year to do this project, but everything we did we were learning something new, whether it was how to create a business plan, manage a budget, or even how to present our business to other people in a positive way. Even though all of this was a lot of work, she spaced it out so that we never got overwhelmed, and it was still fun to do every step of the way. At the end of the year, we had this huge networking event where we had to present our businesses to parents and even the superintendent.

Finally, in our eighth grade year we learned about occupations. We started the year by deciding on what career we wanted to pursue. Once we had chosen our job, we started to research it. We researched the average salaries, the educational requirements, and a bunch of other things as well.  After researching, we prepared ourselves for a face-to-face interview with our teacher for the business we had decided to apply. We learned about all of the different things that would be important for us to know during a real interview. Everything we did was really fun and even when we made a mistake, she made sure we learned from it in a helpful way.

Over the course of all three years, we continued learning about computers and the rest of the business world. Everything we learned in her class is useful to us in the real world, and Mrs. Foxwell made it fun for us every step of the way. We did a lot of work over all three years and it felt so accomplishing whenever we had completed one of our major projects. There was never a dull moment in her class, and all of it was beneficial to us. Mrs. Foxwell's class is one of those classes that you will use every day in your life. Whether it is paying your taxes, or applying for a job, Mrs. Foxwell's class is the most memorable and useful class I have had and probably ever will.