Howl-o-ween Adopt-a-thon | Teen Ink

Howl-o-ween Adopt-a-thon

By CarolinaIM SILVER, Plantation, Florida
CarolinaIM SILVER, Plantation, Florida

In October 2014, I volunteered at the annual Central Broward Animal Hospital’s Howl-o-ween Adopt-a-thon. This is the clinic that I take my golden retrievers, Mia and Anubis to. The entire staff is kind, thoughtful and caring. They love the animals in our community so much that they sponsor this charity fundraiser every year. Central Broward Animal Hospital raises money for local organizations that help rescue stray dogs in our greater Broward community. Some of the organizations that were involved in the fundraiser were Animal Aid, Boxer Friends, Compassionate Pug Rescue, and Golden Rescue of South Florida.

This charity fundraiser has family fun activities to bring in money for the poor strays of our town.  People of all ages attended the fundraiser. There was face painting, bake sales, dog training raffles,Danny’s BBQ ,Origami Owl, and more. There was even a pet costume contest. The funniest one I saw was a ‘hot dog’ or dachshund dressed as a hot dog! Any pet that wore a costume received a raffle ticket. This was one of my jobs that day. I wore a volunteer t-shirt so that participants knew I was there to assist.  I was able to help out in anyway possible to help make this event better for everyone who attended.  Many children walked around with faces painted as all kinds of pets: puppies, kittens, parrots. A five dollar donation would get a halloween,fall photo with your pet by a professional photographer. Their annual charity event brings in thousands of dollars for pet rescues across Broward.

Not only do they raise money, but there are dozens of adoptions that take place at Howl-o-ween Adoptathon. The South Broward Animal hospital rehabilitates dogs from the streets and gets them ready for adoption. Many street strays are not only physically in need but emotionally as well.  It takes many weeks to make them healthy and adoptable. Any interested people could adopt at this event. They could go to the adoption tent where the eligible animals were to see if they could find a new pet. It made me so happy to see many pets find new and loving homes. South Broward Animal Hospital has been awarded the Carol Johnson Rescue award for all their work in saving homeless animals in South Florida.

I felt that I had a great and wonderful experience. I was happy to take part in this special day. I felt that on that day I had really made a difference. I took part in helping pets find new homes and helping organizations to continue their pet rescue activities. I felt warm inside knowing that a cute doggie made its way into some loving arms. What can you do for your community?  What can you do to make it happy and strong? I challenge you to do something today. I challenge you to explore your passions and the opportunities in your neighborhood. You might surprised at how much fun but even more so how rewarding even one day and one event could be!

"We need more people to volunteer for their fellow communities."

writermt said...
Very nice story, I love the way you share your thoughts.

Ramon said...
Congratulations. Your article is really good! Stay the course … there is great writer with much to say inside you.