The Battle of the Bulge | Teen Ink

The Battle of the Bulge

By MasterSun SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
MasterSun SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

"History is written by the victors"- Winston Churchill

The Allies begin their final push towards the German fatherland. The battle hardened Germans put up a valiant defense but they are overwhelmed no matter how many tanks they destroy the Americans just keep replacing them. The Americans, British and the Canadians advance from the east and the Russians from the west.  To win the Germans must capture the Allies off-guard and that’s just what they do on December 16;under the thick heavy snow Allied planes are grounded and the Allies aren’t expecting a German attack. Hitler gathers his most battle hardened veteran’s three entire Panzer armies. Six hundred tanks and nearly two hundred thousand German infantry against just sixty tanks and sixty thousand Allied infantry. The battle of the Bulge has begun.

At 0300 hours the Germans began their attack on the Ardenne Forest cutting through poorly defended American lines, most of the American Sherman tanks have froze over and cannot fight back. Leading the advance is the infamous Piper the head of the German concentration camps and a military genius.  The panicked generals rush everything they have at the Germans determined to stall for time until reinforcements can arrive, but it fails and now the Germans are poised to capture the strategic port city of Antwerp if they capture it they will be able to cut all Allied reinforcements coming by sea. They only thing standing in their way are just two hundred fifty men guarding the town of Stavelot .

The second day of the German offensive and at 0530 hours the Germans attack Stavelot. The brave men defend the town for two days before they are overrun. The third SS the most brutal unit of Hitler’s army live up to the name. The Germans have seen their homeland bombed to smithereens by the Allies and now they unleash their anger on the town’s population nearly one hundred thirty civilians are slaughtered; the same thing happens in hamlets and villages all across the border.. The Americans lay a careful ambush for the Germans, and it works the German advance grinds to a halt. Piper makes a crucial mistake and the Germans run out of gas.  The German’s with their amazing firepower cannot move without gasoline.

The next days are spent in a game of cat and mouse, Piper advances to cross a bridge on the Muse River and each time the Americans blow it up before he can cross.  General Eisenhower launches an American counteroffensive defeating the fuel starved Sixth Panzer Army in countless battles across the Belgium border. The Germans are pushed back and the Allied offensive is saved.

I love war and history so I decided to write about it. Yes!

on Jul. 3 2015 at 12:12 pm
MasterSun SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

Thanks, I noticed I had some run-on's but I couldn't go back and correct them once it was posted.

Beila BRONZE said...
on Jul. 3 2015 at 4:45 am
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

Hey, I don't usually read nonfiction, but I somehow found you and this article (don't remember how anymore), and I actually really like it. You have a unique voice and style, which makes the piece stand out. That said, definitely be careful of proofreading for grammar. Correct grammar helps to improve the flow of the piece and makes it easier to read. Regardless, I read it and learned something brand new. Kudos to you on a well-written short article. :) Definitely do more, and best of luck!