The Road Less Traveled | Teen Ink

The Road Less Traveled

By Analysia BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Analysia BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mines are the same."

Elizabeth Jane Dawson had it all. She had the perfect mother, the other perfect mother, and the perfect little brother. Everything that everyone in Elm Town desires of having. Emily had it all. Two mothers that cared for her so much and a little brother that always tried to look in her diary. What is wrong with that?! Emily was the girl that everyone wanted to be friends with. Of course its only because of the ideal life she has. Two loving mothers with the top jobs in Elm Town. In Elm Town, everyone knows the Dawson’s.

Its lunch time, and Elizabeth always sits with her friends Tessa, Steph, Hardin, Zed, Molly, and Landon.
“So did you get to write down the homework before Ms.Green’s class?” Zed had asked Hardin since you know, Hardin never does his work even though he is highly intelligent for his age.
“Obviously. Why are you always in my business Zed? Don’t you have anything better to do? Like stare at Aaron?”
Hardin always knew how to get to Zed. Zed always had a crush on Aaron, so as soon as the words had escaped his smirking lips, Zed had completely froze and turned red. It was no surprise to everyone that Zed had a crush on Aaron. It was evident. The way he looks at him and the way how he always speaks of him with such passion as if he was Zeus!
“SHUT UP HARDIN!!! AT LEAST I’M NOT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT ANYMORE THAT I LIKE AARON! YOU SHOULD TAKE OWNERSHIP LIKE I DID AND JUST ADMIT YOUR FEELINGS FOR ELIZABETH!!”
The words came from anger. A place Zed isn’t too comfortable with displaying to his friends and others. His eyes shot wide open as he actually had a chance to let his brain catch up with the words that were already thrown out into the air so coldly.
Hardin’s instant reaction always came out with violence. It isn’t his fault, his father's recently had told him that he was conceived from a women. That one of his fathers was actually a heterosexual and that’s how Hardin Scott was born. Its abnormal to be a heterosexual. Everyone in Elm Town is and always has been a homosexual town. If someone knew or had any suspicion you were a heterosexual, oh would it be bad. And the only way he feels like he can let out steam is by violence.It’s pretty sad. The bright Hardin Scott turned into a violent boy by just one lie.
Hardin had jumped over the table and immediately connected his fist with Zeds jaw. Everyone instantly jumped and started roaring “Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!” Landon let out a breath in annoyance as this scene was all too familiar , Zed and Hardin fighting. It wasn’t new to anyone in Greyson High.

The fight only lasted for about thirty seconds before Landon had decided weather or not he should actually let the two beat each other up to death. Once the two were parted away from each other Hardin immediately stormed out of the lunch room. Being the caring, sweet girl that Elizabeth is, ran right after him.
So there Hardin was, sitting in his usual spot in the auditorium. Elizabeth was all too familiar with this scene between her and Hardin, but she didn’t possibly think that he had feelings for her. Boys don’t usually have feelings for girls. It always has been boys with boys, and girls with girls. So her being here right now started to make her think that maybe this would be a bad idea. Maybe people would be thinking that she may like him back to, that’s why she’s chasing after him all the time. Elizabeth immediately stopped and started to walk backwards towards the door. But it was too late, Hardin had already spotted her and looked at her with pleading eyes. Elizabeth felt this pain in her chest, everytime he gave her that look. That look of needing her, wanting her, but she didn’t get that till now. Till the moment Zed just had to let it out that Hardin liked Elizabeth. She took slow cautious steps towards Hardin, not wanting him to seem as if she doesn’t want to be there because in all honesty, she does. She really does. As she’s approaching him, Hardin Scott stands up and kisses Elizabeth. Elizabeth was scared, shocked, surprised, confused, caught off guard, but most of all, she felt relieved. As his hands covered the most part of her face, she felt a spark, a hint of spark that moments then felt like fireworks, she felt butterflies in her stomach all at once. But her mind racing with confusion. Confusion on how is this actually possible, how is it possible to feel this way towards a boy?! You’re only supposed to feel this way when you’re a girl kissing a girl or vice versa! As soon as Elizabeth's mind caught up with her actions, she stopped and shoved Hardin away, immediately missing the warmth of Hardin’s lips and hands.
“I thought you wanted this! I know you feel the same way I do, so don’t try and play dumb with me saying that this is wrong. I know what you felt as I was kissing you Elizabeth! The sparks, butterflies, the fireworks. Yeah I felt it too and I only felt that way because I love you Eli, I really love you..” The words were rushed, filled with anger, passion, lust, and a hint of confusion as well. Hardin hated the fact that he had originally came from heterosexual people. Its wrong, disgusting, abnormal again, to be heterosexual. Its sort of a disgrace actually. And that fact that Hardin Scott hates his father for never telling him that he was conceived from a women is pretty wrong if he’s over here in the auditorium kissing the Elizabeth Jane Dawson.
“I-I-I… I’m sorry Hardin.. This so totally wrong.. I like girls.. We shouldn’t be doing this. I mean come on, Do you know what would happen if ANYONE found out about this?! You must’ve gone and hit a real low if you’re trying to come and kiss me and expect me to feel some type of way towards you Hardin! You’ve got to be kidding me!” Elizabeth quickly regretted every word that came running from her lips. She started to feel sorry, upset, shocked, tired, relieved. All of these emotions but yet she wasn’t confused anymore. Her heart made the decision, and that is, is that she really loves Hardin Scott. She loves him, she always had loved him. She never really knew till now, the thought came about here and there but never a big issue to worry about. But now it's different. Elizabeth Jane Dawson finally admits to herself that she loves Hardin Scott.
“Then why did it take you so long until you pushed me back huh Eli! WHY?! I don’t understand how you can say all these things but yet your actions show a whole different story! I mean look at you Eli, your eyes are more bright!... I mean with those grey eyes, they never have had such brightness before, not they way how they are right now… Your cheeks are flushed to a deep red.. Your lips are perfectly plumped..”
“I love you too Hardin…” The words came out so soft that she supposed Hardin didn’t hear her.
“WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?! YOU LOVE ME ELIZABETH JANE DAWSON!!” Shock and relief fills his bright green eyes. He really wasn’t expecting this from her, at least not after what she had said about him.
“Yes Hardin, I love you… I’m sorry that I said all of those things but I realize that I really do love you.. But I mean how will this ever work. I mean this won’t be something we can pursue on, someone will find out and that so can’t happen Hardin..”
“You know, just come back over here and kiss me Elizabeth Jane Dawson. I need you.” The words were real, everything that came from Hardin was true, from the beginning it was all true.
Elizabeth ran back up to Hardin wrapped her arms around his neck, his around her waist and kissed. They kissed. The kiss was filled with many feelings. Lust, passion, hopeful, overwhelmed, love, the feeling of need, needing to be here, at this exact moment.
The kiss only lasted for a few until Tessa had walked in with her phone pointed directly at them. Recording the two. Hardin immediately pushed Elizabeth and searched for her eyes as he spotted the sparkles in her eyes. She started to cry. Hardin rushed to pick her back up and looked at Tessa, mocking the smirk of Hardin Scott.
“Listen Tessa, this is a one time thing here-”
“Oh save me all that bs Eli. Oh is it okay you know, if I call you Eli.” The smirk had returned. She was here the whole time.
Shock has been placed on the faces of Hardin and Elizabeth. Shocked that the one time where it felt right, the first time this has ever happened, they get caught.
“Now guys, lets not play the role of being shocked here, now all we need to see here is who shall I send this to first?”
“NO ONE!” they both said. Hardin threatening, and Elizabeth pleading.
“Nah, that wouldn’t be right. I think that the whole school and your parents should see this. Woah your parents would really love to see this Eli right?”
“Sending… Your message has been sent!”

What wrote me to inspire this piece was a video that I had seen and it changed some things up. Instead of liking guys and girls as this world is know to, their world was all about being with the same gender as your spouce. And if being a heterosexual, it wasn't okay at all. It was a disgrace. So instead of making fun of the homosexuals, we should think how that person would feel if it was the other way around.