The Mansion | Teen Ink

The Mansion

By Bansari1 SILVER, New Delhi, Other
Bansari1 SILVER, New Delhi, Other

Lenita was being chased when she ran into the woods. An old mansion loomed in front of her. It looked like it was deserted. But she didn’t cry for help. There was a voice in her head that told her to run. Farther. Faster. She heard noises behind her and she ran even faster. She couldn’t recall anything. The last memory she had was of standing on the deserted road at 10 pm after having attended an event being held in her school. It had ended later than she had thought it would. Instead of waiting in vain for a cab, she had decided to go home on foot. Walking towards her house, she had noted how abandoned the busiest main road in the city looked at night.  Abruptly, a car had made a blind turn and stopped in front of her. Someone had stepped out and she had made a dash towards the forest.
Which brought her to where she was. Alone in the woods. The pounding in her ears seemed to get louder. She stumbled to her right, trying to go around to the back of the house. Just as she came around the first corner, something flashed in front of her. She could no longer breathe. When she tried to breathe, her nose was filled with a strong smell. And then she went limp.
Waking up, Lenita was acutely aware of the throbbing in her head. She sat up and her head spun. There was a soft glow in the room coming from an old lamp. Turning the light up, she found herself back in time. Or that’s what it seemed like. Everything in her room looked old. Victorian furniture, heavy drapes. On the opposite wall were shelves filled with dolls. Dolls that were as tall as 10 year old girls. Looking down, she saw that she was wearing a puffy patchwork dress with a pair of Mary Janes. Was this a dream?
Looking in the mirror she saw… a reflection of a doll. A doll who looked just like her! Her face was made up and her hair was arranged in perfect little ringlets.  Lenita couldn’t breathe. She felt numb. 
Then she heard something. She turned towards the door, waiting. But nothing happened. Was it her imagination? But, no, there it was again. The same sound of someone was coming towards the room. Abruptly, the door opened--and in entered a bisytsia!
Lenita stumbled and almost fell in her attempt to move away from the door. The bisytsia looked so scary with her tangled hair, and looking down, Lenita saw that her feet were backwards. She was wearing tattered clothes with stains on them. Were they blood stains? The woman opened her mouth. But instead of the blood curling scream Lenita was expecting, out came a weird sound like the rustling of leaves. Then it hit her, this was the same sound which she had heard behind her when she was running towards the mansion. Then the bisytsia turned to the dolls and started fiddling with them, all the while making the eerie noise. All the dolls started blinking and hovering in the air. All this was hair raising. It was like the sound was everywhere… in the room, in her head. Like a hundred such creatures were making it.
Then the door swung open….