Why You Should Give This Piece an Editor's Badge | Teen Ink

Why You Should Give This Piece an Editor's Badge

By SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire

Most of the time, viewers only “view” your work if, a) you shared the link or b) it’s featured on the main page or elsewhere. These usually have a small, red mark with a white check slashing through its center, known by Teen Ink--and its staff--as the all-famous Editor’s Badge.

You can only get one if your work is rated high above the others, but today, I might be stretching my limits a miniscule fraction to ask this one, pressing question to Teen Ink and its editors -- Can you give this essay an Editor’s badge?

I know, I know--you must be out of your minds right now--”They’re actually asking us this?” and deciding, with wounded hearts and minds--weather to even post this ON THE WEBSITE. But that would defeat the whole purpose, quietly discarding a piece of work, left to sit in an empty desk drawer for countless years, WITH NOBODY READING IT! This is outrageous, people! We can’t let work like this, especially if the author of the specific piece SPENT ALMOST AN ETERNITY trying to perfect it!!!

Sadly, this is the case with most publishers and/or websites that feature teen literature and/or publish books. In traditional publishing, this occurs more, since they pick through and select the highest rated and well written books. The others, as I said, are left to sit in a desk drawer and accumulate dust  for maybe years, until SOMEONE, and I mean YOU, yes YOU, teen ink member(s), reading and contemplating BEHIND THE SCREEN, bothers to PICK IT UP and actually read it, CONSIDERING THE FACT it was published by a teen who thought they had no potential in the writing business and were downcast by this fact, one day logs on to Teen Ink and finds--magically--that a red Editor’s Badge had appeared mysteriously beside one of their best and well written works.

This would make many teen’s hearts open up wide, feel glad that they EVEN BOTHERED to sign up for a Teen Ink account, and read and publish some of their work. Others commenting might say this is a waste of time, to write this essay that goes on forever about giving me the Editor’s badge, but they’re wrong.

This took me a while to write. In fact, every second writing it was excruciatingly  painful, for every second I was thinking: “wouldn't this make them more reluctant to give it a badge that signifies its worth and status?” I almost deleted it, but then went back, and carefully selected the article and pasted it into the submit form on your webpage.

Feel glad, Teen Ink, that someone out there is taking the liberty--as well as time and money--to publish your magazine at all. Many teens and students alike read the work in the magazine, deciding themselves if they wish to write as well as your hand-picked masterpieces, drawn carefully from a stack of loosely positioned papers. 

Maybe the editors are faulty when picking--But I’ve read some terrible pieces that have been given an Editor’s Badge. In my opinion, some lowly-rated works have been signified, in my mind, as deserving of high status and recognition by all who go to the Teen Ink site.

The Homepage would grant the most likes and views, but you can place this anywhere you like, maybe bury it under a stack of crumbling essays or discarded manuscripts written by rambling teens--but please, please, consider giving this essay an Editor’s badge. It could change my view on my writing and help me perfect it however I can, if it even NEEDS to be perfected at all.

I appreciate your time considering putting a small, red badge beside this piece of work, and hope it has taught you something about the world of teen publishing and how hard it is to find the courage to even write at all.

King_KDA DIAMOND, Burlington, Washington

"Numquam finitur, donec vita finiatur."
- K. D'Angelo Alexander

I just post things I write, honestly. Never actually thought I would get an Editor's Choice badge, let alone three. I feel that some of my other works could've gotten them, but I still appreciate the few I do have.

on Aug. 14 2022 at 9:57 am
Lisa-Mary-Paul PLATINUM, Copenhagen, Other

BeYOUtiful ✨

edit-i got into the mag! :) to anyone reading,just have faith and stay consistent--one day your dream will come true.

on Jan. 4 2022 at 6:13 am

BeYOUtiful ✨

Haha i actually love this! i've been feeling the same way,I really want to get at least one of my pieces in the mag but it hasn't happened yet ;(
I really admire that you unapologetically described what you felt...keep it up!
-Lisa

Diya BRONZE said...
on May. 7 2019 at 12:23 am
Diya BRONZE, New Delhi, Other

"Feet, what do I need you for, when I have wings to fly?"--Frida Kahlo

Haha this was really fun to read tbh

AsenathRose GOLD, Chesapeake Beach, Maryland

"Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me,"--Shakespeare

I love that this piece actually got in here so much... now if only i can actually get in the mag, dang it

on Sep. 24 2015 at 3:55 am
TheDolphin ELITE, Iloilo, Other
Somehow, I love this piece. Well, it may not be that very flawlessly written (where most of your points are drowned in the sea of words), I sawthe braveness in the tip of your pen while you wrote this. Just keep writing. You don't need to get an editor's job just to prove that your piece is worthy to be read. Congrats btw.

Calum SILVER said...
Calum SILVER, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
This piece is really interesting, I can relate.

SojournerYouth BRONZE, Bronx, New York

“I wanted real adventures to happen to myself. But real adventures, I reflected, do not happen to people who remain at home: they must be sought abroad.” James Joyce, Dubliners

it's true that the badge gives credibility to writers, but to give everyone a medal takes away from the purpose. Still, I wish there were more forms of personal feedback on the site.

NarutosimG GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Brave for you to say this admire your gut.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This was...interesting, to say the least! I will say I don't agree with every SINGLE thing you mentioned, but the title drew me faster than anything I've ever clicked on, and props for your bravery. :)

on Jul. 31 2015 at 11:16 am
Ianultraman BRONZE, Basking Ridge, New Jersey

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" - Elbert Hubbard

I agree. I somewhat admire this piece, but Caesar is right also. But keep writing!

Caesar123 DIAMOND, Union Grove, Wisconsin

"Madness in great ones must not unwatched go" --Claudius in William Shakespeare's Hamlet

I'll admit, you've got me somewhat confused. I get the expected irony you had of asking for an editor's choice and then them giving you one and that you claimed to need it to reaffirm your worth as a writer, but you got really sloppy in parts with your grammar, especially at the beginning. You also sound awfully condescending and arrogant at times, which I'm guessing (or more like hoping) isn't how you tried to come across. I for one understand the anger of some pieces getting editor's choice or even going to print and being perceivably inferior to other unrecognized works, but by and large I think the editors at Teen Ink do an alright job. Most awards really are earned by the best pieces (except for maybe reviews, it seems that everyone gets an editor's choice if they write a review) and thus by the best authors. There's a reason why better pieces are given more prominence: they reflect better on the publishing organization and more people are likely to read them, thus making the publishing organization more money (in most cases). All in all, I understand where you are coming from, but don't agree with a number of your arguments. That being said, don't give up on writing. Even if you're not the greatest now, realize none of the best were and that with each mistake or misstep you learn from it and become better because of it, eventually becoming one of the best in the process.

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Many points you wrote were very true, and I agree that most teen work does not get enough attention. But remember this: Sometimes, when you demand for recognition, it doesn't always mean you deserve it...

.king. SILVER said...
.king. SILVER, Yeux Bien Tres Bien, Other

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

It's pretty cool what you've said. Though I did get lost in the rage a few times. I believe sometimes pieces are picked unfairly... with strange reasons I won't address. The fact you got Editor's Choice (unsurprisingly) makes me giggle. ~Keep it up.

on Jul. 30 2015 at 11:38 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

But there were certain unclear parts/strange-structured sentences in the middle. Please take care of that the next time you write. All the best.

on Jul. 30 2015 at 11:35 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)

I'm adding this as a favourite. Brave (and fun) writing, dear writer, I'm glad I read this. Very true.

Annkim said...
Good article!