Go Get it Girl | Teen Ink

Go Get it Girl

By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia

"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon

How many girls in this world fall behind?  How many lack the knowledge, resources, or inspiration to succeed?  The answer is hard- too many to count.  This is why the phrase “Go Get it Girl” popped in my head one day.  This would be my project.   Thus begins the journey of my Gold Award project, the largest and most important step of Girl Scouts. 
Go Get it Girl is a girl’s self-empowerment project centered on a website called gogetitgirl.org.  It focuses on areas including education, health, and financial literacy.  The education section includes information on applying to college and maintaining good grades.  The health section contains information on basic health and self-esteem.  Lastly, the financial literacy section has all the information a girl needs to manage her money properly. 
As part of my project, I was able to work one-on-one with girls in elementary, middle, and high school.  I presented at a local high school’s College Night.  I spoke to Hispanic girls and their parents about applying to college.  In addition, I worked with an organization called Cool Girls Inc.  Cool Girls is an organization based out of Atlanta, Georgia focused on the advancement of girls in all aspects of their development.  I worked at the after school program, Cool Girls Club, at elementary and middle schools, and I taught the girls all about financial literacy, a topic that Cool Girls had not previously taught.  The girls I worked with were primarily minorities, and Cool Girls truly helps them to rise above any current difficulties in their lives.  
To provide inspiration for the girls who visit gogetitgirl.org, I interviewed successful women in my community, including a doctor and business owner. 
The project has been a lot of work, and it’s not over yet.  It will never be over, hopefully, because I will always look for ways to help girls. 

Spread the word about my project and feel free to give me any feedback.  Thank you.