Gen Z: My Point of View | Teen Ink

Gen Z: My Point of View

By erinmwhitten BRONZE, Revere, Massachusetts
erinmwhitten BRONZE, Revere, Massachusetts

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.

Censorship: One word that the general public hates to hear, and what writers dread while working on publications. When teenagers write, often it is to voice their frustrations in recent events in their lives, society, or even side comments they hear. Writing is a creative outlook for many adolescents to do this freely, but censorship blocks not only our creativity, but our input on many important subjects in our culture. When teenagers are known as the generation of lazy or as TIME Magazine wrote on their cover on May 20th, 2013 “The Me Me Me Generation- Millennials are lazy, entitled, narcissists who still live with their parents,” however, surprisingly enough, there are a good handful of “Gen Z” teens that genuinely do care, then are nevertheless are censored of their opinions. 
When schools try and censor us from great works of literature such as Huckleberry Finn, The Diary of Anne Frank, and Of Mice and Men; or even creative works like Captain Underpants and Harry Potter, they are not putting out a good image for our generation. The reasoning behind these banned books? They are scared- scared we will take it as some sort of joke, or won’t be able to observe the true significances behind these astonishing works.  In my eleventh grade English class, before we read Huckleberry Finn, we went over the controversy of the “N-word,” showed the  Today whereas it is banned because the strong racist language, but ironically enough years ago it was banned because the friendships between Jim and Huck. This is a novel that has racism within its story; whereas it is not a racist novel itself.

Even I had been slammed with people calling me a “psycho-feminazi” because I wrote a piece on sexual harassment and they think I should have just ignored it. Those comments showed the utter ignorance of some people, because as I was voicing my feelings towards the situation, they were adding on to the rape-culture apparently we “ignorant” teenagers have subjects we cannot touch upon. The relevancy of sexual harassment and rape culture is huge, and our generation is smack in the middle of it. Most of the adolescents, who have formed opinions of this, are not able to voice it due to pure obliviousness from other adults who think we’re some sort of imbecile that doesn’t observe what is spoken about.

Yes- we are a generation of media, but doesn’t that give us more access to what is going on around us? Current events have hit platforms like Twitter, and Facebook like wildfire. News accounts are created by companies trying to spread the facts fast, and with constant “Retweets” and “Reblogs” the people are going to see it, and thus forth most social media outlets, who have a high demographic of teenagers using the platforms such as Twitter end up seeing it, and surprisingly enough I have seen the WISEST opinions of people from discussions on my Twitter Feed, by the most surprising people.

So, the next time the “Gen X” demographic decides to call “Gen Z” ignorant, read some of the hashtags for topics like #LoveWins, or #BlackLivesMatter, because believe it or not- the passion of some idealists and writers constantly getting brigaded by the ignorance of our society blocks out the truth. “TBH” I think that they should realize life isn’t a constant “TBT” and get with the times of us Millennials.