The Power of the Minority: Harvesting Your Beliefs | Teen Ink

The Power of the Minority: Harvesting Your Beliefs

By MormonMan BRONZE, Kaysville, Utah
MormonMan BRONZE, Kaysville, Utah

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.”
― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Within the context of World History comes the story of mankind's most stupendous struggles, failures, and triumphs.  When looking through the pages of our ancestral stories, we find that the most considerable strides towards the future seemed to come from the unknown peasants, campesinos, or serfs. Undoubtedly though, the Presidents, Kings, and Lords held all of mans mortal powers of authority over these necessitous and impecunious classmen.  The more interminable these two different classes were bifurcated, the less supplementary they seemed to become to one another.  Meaning: as the Lords and Presidents began to demand more of their working-class men, the less these innocent workers seemed they could provide for their statesmen and politicians.  Simply put: the poor became poorer, while the rich became richer.  This ever growing cleft began to make the governments and societies more classified and discrete.  This pattern seems, according to most of World History, to continue for a few hundred years (at the maximum); before things began to collapse and when the Glorious Revolutions we’ve all read about transpired.  It is my belief, and should be the belief of History, that Revolutions do not arise by the majority.

The best model of this is the story of our beloved American Revolution.  We all know how things commenced, climaxed, and finally came to a resolution.  In the beginning, not only was there a large economic and social gap between the reputable Britain and the hard labored Colonists in America, but also a large physical gap of over 3,000 miles.  Both of these distinct characteristics, and others, eventually helped to lead to the birth of a new people's Revolution and Nation.  Unknown to most however, is that the Colonies (at the time of Revolution) had only about 2.5 million people (included in that number, 20% remained Loyalists to the British Crown during the Revolution)-compared to their larger counterpart of mainland England, which had roughly around 1 million people living in London alone! Thus, we see how the Colonial Revolution was one fought by the minority-and they won.  How would such a small class of people, or the minority, have the power to win a War against the strongest military power on the Earth?  Let alone form a group large enough to fight with?  This is the mysterious power of the minority. 

In our World today do we fear being different?  As teenagers living in such a modern time, do we fear to stand out from amongst the crowd?  We are constantly bombarded with what seems to be the mandatory standard of living, dress, and attitude.  In our World, living in High School, we must “be skinny”.  We must “be popular”.  Or, we must “be smart, athletic, or not raise our hand in class”.  However, do we let these formidable stereotypes control our life?  Ask yourself this: do you feel that you would have more power to be yourself in the majority or the minority?  After saying all this, what was my point with my small History lesson above?  To show all of us that no matter what, by being yourself and standing out you can literally change the face of History.  It was those that questioned, decided for themselves, and actually thought for themselves that changed the World.  However much we want to believe that just by going to college, getting a high paying job, and having a big house will define you and your legacy, ask yourself this: do we remember the size of Winston Churchill’s home?  Do we remember Tesla's test scores or grades that he got in school?  NO!  What we remember is that they dared to be different.  That they were the ones to stand out, and stood out, from amongst those of the majority who told them “how it should be”.  The fact of the matter is, is that at one point everyone will face what it feels like to be in the minority.  However, what we decide to do in that moment, when it feels like the whole World is watching us and our next decision, but deep down you want to do what you feel is right, and not what others feel is right for you, that is the moment that will define you and your legacy that you will leave behind for the History books.  Will you be daring enough, strong enough, and valiant enough to be apart of the minority?  Because when you  do decide to stand up for something, you will literally start to change the face of the World. This is the power of the minority. This is the power of You.