Brendon's Lament | Teen Ink

Brendon's Lament

By originator BRONZE, McGehee, Arkansas
originator BRONZE, McGehee, Arkansas

Writing is its own reward. Henry Miller

It was dark, but only lit by the crescent moon’s silver light that was shining on the grassy, open fields of the moor.  In the center of the moors, there lay a huge sandy hill that’s topped with moss and a huge dark-and-light brown Palace with a balcony, and with doors in the front.  There were also steps leading to the entrance for Elfons to climb up and down the huge, indifferent, hill.  The moon’s light was making the Palace glow pale in the silver light.
On the balcony, a black-and-white haired Elfon, age twenty, with dark green cat eyes, was leaning on the rail gazing out at the fields; the stars; and the moon.  One of his eyes, the left one was badly scarred.  Leading to the point where he couldn’t see; he was blind in his left eye.  He had a long, peach furred lion tail with a black-and-white tuft of fur on the tip.  He wore a light blue collar; button up shirt.  The sleeves rolled up to his elbows.  And he wore blue jeans.  He didn’t wear shoes because he, like other Elfons’ feet had big cat feet with pads at the bottom.  He sighs contently, closing his right eye, as a cool night breeze blew pass him (his left, blind, eye was so messed up that he wasn’t able to close or blink it.)
Another Elfon, with dark red slick black hair and aqua blue cat eyes, came out onto the balcony.  He joined his younger brother’s side.  He was twenty-five and the King of the open fields known as Sevania.  He didn’t have on his red, fuzzy cape or crown.  But, he did have on his light brown vest; blue sleeveless shirt; a dark brown belt; golden cuffs on his wrists; and light brown pants.  His lion’s tail had a dark red tail tuft, and he didn’t wear shoes.  He showed his cat feet.  He smiles at his brother before looking at the mountains; the dark lands; and the river on the horizon.  A few towns were also present, along with the ocean on the left side of Sevania (the forest on the opposite.)  His younger brother looked at him with a depressed look before looking away. 
His older brother inhales peacefully.  “Beautiful isn’t it?”
“Yeah, peaceful,” his younger brother idly replied without looking up at him.
“Are you okay, Brendon?” his older brother asked.  “It…just seems you’ve been down lately.  Ever since you decided to stay with us again, leaving your forest Elfon friends, you’ve been quiet.”
“I’m fine, Ryan,” Brendon spat.  “I’m just tired, that’s all.”
Ryan took note of this, but, didn’t say anything else.  “I understand,” he muttered under his breath.  “You should give your thinking a little break.  You don’t want to stress yourself out over what you are thinking of.”
Brendon shook his head, sitting up.  No, no, it’s not that.  It’s…different, that’s all.
Different?  Ryan echoed with a slight glint to his tone.  You have to realize, the Great Storm’s over.  Everything’s different from before.
I know, Brendon replied.  Before the Great Storm.  After I left, remember?
Ryan sighs.  His brother, before the Great Storm, had left to start his life on his own.  Meeting the forest Elfons and becoming their leader after killing Surtr, an evil serpent that hunted almost half of them down.  But, he had returned during the Great Storm and decided to stay with his brother and family.  Because Brendon decided to stay he had to say goodbye to his girlfriend and deputy, Lela.  Without Brendon by her side, she is now leading their people through a peaceful life.  She is missing him dearly and vice versa.
He puts his hand on his shoulder.  Do you miss your little girlfriend, Lela?
Brendon pushes it away, a slight blush on his cheeks.  No, he pauses, straightening himself up.  Not really, he sighs.  Now since the Great Storm has passed, everything changed.  And it’s not like how it used to be before I left.  The towns no longer have their medieval look, but a modern one.  It’s just not the same.
Ryan, understanding, turns to his brother and bends down to his height.  “Brendon,” he said, putting his hand on his shoulder.  As a brother, and since you’ve been gone for many years, I can understand that you’re depressed.  You’re more used to the forest than the buildings and cities, eh?
“Well, yeah,” he agreed.  “Kind of.”
“Do you want to go back to the forest?” Ryan asked.
No, I want to stay here with you all, Brendon confessed with a determined look in his glowing green eye.
Ryan could see, through his eye that Brendon was lying there was something else also troubling Brendon.  Brendon was bullied when they were younger; and that is partly the reason Brendon left to find his own life.  Ryan assumed that Brendon was possibly concerned of others bullying and teasing him; since he was smaller than his brother and sister.  Their sister is Sara, who is the nurse in the town of Deli.  Brendon was weaker than both of them; especially now, with his blind, scarred, eye.
“Brendon, you have to get that out your head if you want to live with us again.  Sara doesn’t tease you like she did when we were young.  Along with the others that teased you that were arrogant.  They don’t do that anymore.  They have more respect for you now after seeing you prove them wrong by finding your own life and being strong throughout the whole thing.”
“I know,” Brendon said.
Ryan softly smiles.  Bringing him in for a hug.  “You have so much to learn and see because you’ve been gone.  We’ll start with the Falling Leaves Festival, two days away.  We have new décor, games, and a theme that goes with our autumn season.  I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.”
Brendon closes his eye.  Snuggling himself in the crook of his brother’s neck, drawing in his sweet scent.
“You just have to be patient,” he added.  “You’ve been gone for a long time.  And now that you’re back there are things you need to get used to. 
Brendon slightly opens his eye.  To reveal it was sparkling with tears of proudness, and glimmering with the stars’ reflection.  There’s so much that happened to our precious land while I was gone, especially, after the Great Storm, he thought as a single tear fell.  How am I going to get used to all of it?

tinytot said...
What a beautiful article! You are truly blessed to have such a gift with words!

originator BRONZE, McGehee, Arkansas

Writing is its own reward. Henry Miller

Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed my story.

originator BRONZE, McGehee, Arkansas

Writing is its own reward. Henry Miller

Thank you! No, it implies neither. Brendon's sorrow came from the devestation from the Great Storm, and new changes to their land. He was also dealing with memories of being bullied when younger; and leaving his girlfriend, Lela, and his old life behind. Feeling overwhelmed by it all; he wonders how to get used to the new changes in his life.. Overall he is glad to be reunited with his family!

Juan said...
Does the end of the story imply suicide or a breakup? Very interesting story!

John_Milton said...
John_Milton, Olean, New York
It was my pleasure. You deserve to be praised by your gift with words.