All Hail the Weirdos | Teen Ink

All Hail the Weirdos

By TheCatsMeow SILVER, Tuckerton, New Jersey
TheCatsMeow SILVER, Tuckerton, New Jersey

“I don’t know what’s worse: to not know what you are and be happy, or to become what you’ve always wanted to be, and feel alone.”
― Daniel Keyes, Flowers for Algernon

The places the make me content are the endless rows of books at a library, a whimsical town in a Sarah Addison Allen novel, and a multitude of other places. There is not just one place that makes me content, the world is filled with amazing places from the Parthenon to Buckingham Palace. How could I choose just one? In these places I experience a rush of happiness that keeps my soul warm for a moment of bliss. The only thing that can keep that warmth and content pulsing through my veins are my friends. Wherever they are I will always be. Half the time, my hands begin to twitch with anger and annoyance when my friend's come around, ready at a moments notice to slap them silly. But that annoyance easily gives away to laughter and smiles. It's because we CAN annoy and poke fun at each other that we are close friends. After all, it's when my friends are not making fun of me that I need to worry.

However, there is a second layer to my group of lovable morons which makes me want keep them in my arms for eternity. My friends were raised in chaotic households that could even make the most hardened criminal grimace. We often laugh and joke about the peculiar experiences we've had because of the deranged families we were born into. But, sometimes those laughs turn to faces stained with tears and heartache, this is when the meaning behind my friendships clearly emerges. We have been brought together through hell and high water to pick up the pieces of each other's lives when we fall apart, we are the sticky glue that holds each other together. That and loads of inappropriate jokes fueled by plenty of Swedish Fish. I am perfectly content in any place as long as my friend's are there as well. We always help each other through every strange problem and we always make each other laugh until our sides hurt at every strange joke. None of our lives are even close to perfect, and I would never want it any other way.

This piece was written for my Creative Writing class following a prompt provided by the Common Application. A shortened version of this work was published previously and is completely my own. Please comment and rip apart my essay sentence by sentence. Only you, the reader, can help me improve my writing. Thanks!

on Sep. 2 2015 at 6:09 pm

― Daniel Keyes, Flowers for Algernon

Duly noted. Thank you for the critique!

on Sep. 2 2015 at 9:18 am
I think your article is relate-able for a lot of us, however that is one reason you should change the title. You guys aren't that weird to me and I think others will agree. Everything you do seems pretty normal and a lot of people have bad home lives and such. But then again your title is what caught my attention and brought be to you in the first place... so make your story fit your title better and that may help (sorry dont have much time to tell you how to do that.) Another thing to note is that your story doesn't flow. Talking about your favorite places does not flow into talking about your friends very well. When I started reading your story I couldn't tell how you were going to tie your favorite places to weirdos and when you did tie it in your tie in was not very connected to your overall theme. The biggest thing is you never actually hailed the weirdos; you just talked about your friends and claimed they were weird. Also there were a ton of grammar mistakes. Ask a teacher for help with this one. I am just a person on the internet so I can't give well thought out critiques as well. Good Luck!!!