What Was I Born Into? | Teen Ink

What Was I Born Into?

JustAnotherClassmate BRONZE, AE, Other

"My opinion of you is none of your business," and "The human race is primarily made up of 'efficient mouths and inefficient eyes'".

I was born in a world where opinions mattered.
I’m at fault for my skin, I’m not sure why that is. I’ve been judged and subjected to live as a stereotype. Not just for my kind but for every kind. Somehow, we’ve made ourselves think that subjective categorizing is right.

I was born in a world where everyone thinks he’s better than everybody else.
(Or perhaps, not enough.) I’m at fault for the world I was born into, I’m not sure why this is. I didn’t choose to live in it. Why does it matter where I stand or whether I'm above or beneath the person beside me? Why do I feel the need to compare myself to anyone?

I was born in a world with efficient mouths and inefficient eyes.
No one’s an exception. Everyone’s just the same. We’re unique but in unique ways. Still, somehow we’re no different than our neighbors. Make up your mind. We can be strong and we can go far but we see only what is in front of us, on the outside; we do not have x-ray vision; we don’t remember to look up or down; we don’t remember than anyone or anything could possibly be behind us.

I was born in a world where oppression lived just to hold public evolution back.
I’m at fault for my ancestors’ sin. I don’t see why that is; I didn’t choose my kin.
I’m at fault for the way he lived, the things she did, the words they said. Yet I have not lived like he, done as she, talked as they. Why can’t anyone see that I only want to be me?

I wrote this after reading Black Like Me for my AP US History summer report by John Howard Griffin and The Jungle by Upton Sinclair (for the same reason). It got me thinking about oppression. Both of the books made me angry at the world because of how sickeningly relevant and true they were. Of course, it shouldn't have been any surprise to me. Oppression will always be a problem as long as our human instinct is to categorize and pass biased judgment. It doesn't begin to explain HALF of the problem. I highly suggest that if you have an interest in society and are against oppression of any form (basically everyone, I hope), then read these books. I don't believe in world peace but I hope that reading these books will open your eyes to the world and all of its possibilities. It will change your view on very many subjects.